Options

Should i choose this offer

zefszefs Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
Need some help on deciding if i should go forward with this role. Currently i work as Jr. System/Network Administrator. I am offered a Technical Support Analyst role with one of the Canadian banks. It is a role with a bank which has potential for internal growth.
Now my current workplace is only 5.5 Kms away one way(10 min drive)
The new place will 44Kms away one way(1-1.5 hrs drive depending on traffic)
Current salary 54100 while new offered is 65000
Current vacation is 3 weeks new offer is only 2 weeks
Pay is only 10k more plus 9% performance bonus( i dont even know how easy that will be to get). And most of the extra income will go in cars expense due to travelling

Now why i am looking to make move is because my current place doesnt offer my any new challenges. Small IT footprint. Chance of growth are small aswell. I need more income as well.
Can you guys help me decide by comparing my both Job descriptions (current and new one) to see if this new opportunity will be an upgrade to my current career? in a sense it will help me to grow further in future or does it sound like a downgrade or same? I am having hard time deciding.

Thanks

My current Job
Junior Network Administrator

is seeking a Jr. Network Administrator to provide support to all areas of the business under the supervision of the IT Systems Team Lead. This exciting and dynamic role will involve providing technical support for end users across Canada and play an active role in Team projects supporting the company’s compute, virtualization, storage and network infrastructure.
Common duties of the Junior Network Administrator will be responding to level 1 and 2 user tickets to troubleshoot user access to networks, applications (workstation and mobile). Setup and troubleshooting devices such as laptops, desktops, peripherals, android phones and network devices. Workstation imaging, I.T. asset tracking, installation and configuration of software. Creating user accounts and modifying access in AD while adhering to compliance policies.
They will be the first responder to server/system events. Involved in preparing servers for deployment, general administration, diagnostics and preventative maintenance. The role will involve creating much of the user and I.T. administration and policy documentation.
The Junior Network Administrator will be involved in sometimes challenging and often interesting assignments both with the Team and as an individual contributing to perpetual improvement projects relating to all aspects of the I.T. infrastructure.

Requirements:

• Minimum 2 years work experience
• Relevant college or university education or diploma from a technical school
• Enthusiastic and friendly team player with a positive attitude
• Ability to work well independently and in team environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
• High level of attention to detail
• Proactive, energetic, resourceful and show initiative
• Willing to learn and grow with the company
• Ability to effectively triage and prioritize tasks

Technical Skills:
• Ability to resolve connectivity issues relating to LAN/WAN/VPN/WiFi and demonstrate knowledge of all layers in the OSI model
• Proficiency administering Windows Server 2008 and 2012 and patch management
• Ability to setup and resolve issues related to Desktop/Laptop/Mobile/Peripheral & other end user (both local and remote) device support
• Knowledgeable and experienced with Android based smartphones and able to support fleet by provisioning and resolving various hardware/software issues
• Create effective documentation for both end users and technical writing for I.T. staff
• Competent working in an Active Directory environment with AD Users and Computers, Group Policy, Sites and services, DNS, DHCP
• Fundamental working knowledge of MS office suite

Knowledge/Experience/Certification with these technologies will be definite asset:
• Citrix Xen App/Desktop
• Server Hardware (Dell R series or Chassis)
• VMware vSphere
• Sophos Endpoint
• IIS/SSL
• SAN (Nimble, EqualLogic)
• MS SharePoint
• MS Windows Server/Desktop (MCSA)
• Avaya IP Office
• Soti MobiControl
• MS SQL
• Scripting with PowerShell or VB
• MS Exchange
• Cisco (Routers, Switches, ASA, WAPS/WLAN Controller, AnyConnect VPN)

THE NEW JOB OFFER

The Information Technology (IT) department manages the technology and computer infrastructure that drives business systems. The IT department supports the organization in these critical areas: End-User Technical Support, Desktop Management, Network Management, Voice and Data Communications, Business and Web Applications and Strategic Technical Planning.
Role Purpose:
The Technical Support Analyst is responsible for implementation, administration, and troubleshooting and production support of Wintel Active Directory environment. The Technical Support Analyst will combine solid technical knowledge, strong analytical skill and hands-on working experience in the administration and support of the Windows/Linux x86 hardware/software, maintaining a highly secure, reliable, optimized and well managed IT operating environment. The Technical Support Analyst, Hardware will report directly to the Team Lead of Technical Support and Service, Hardware.
Role Accountabilities:
  • Build and implementation of Windows/Linux x86 hardware and operating system technologies as well as support standards and usage guidelines.
  • Implement and maintain all Windows/Linux servers/storage which includes all application, file and print, Citrix XenApp and BCP servers.
  • Provide administration, maintenance and technical support of the VMware ESXi virtual platforms. Including administration of the VMWare SRM, VRA and Horizon suite.
  • Provide administration, maintenance, optimization, capacity planning, operating system patch management and technical support of the production and development environments.
  • Ensure compliance with Windows/Linux Server disaster recovery and contingency plans to assure rapid recovery of systems in the event of an emergency of disaster.
  • Provide second level support for all desktop hardware and software for all sites.
  • Install and support various departmental server applications for the business units.
  • Actively participate in the evaluation and selection process for new Windows x86 server infrastructure technologies.
  • Assist with the administration, maintenance and technical support of Ping Identity, ServiceNow, EWMS and FileNet applications.
  • Required to be available outside normal business hours.
  • Required to carry mobile device and pager to handle 7x24 support issues.
  • Other duties as assigned.
Technical Skills
  • Working knowledge and hands-on working experience of Microsoft System Center, Red Hat and VMware suite of products.
  • Strong knowledge of HP server hardware (NIC, RAID, SCSI) including HP OneView and iLo
  • Hands-on knowledge of authentication products for both Linux and Windows Server environments, Microsoft Active Directory and Red Hat IDM.
  • In- depth knowledge of and working experience with related protocols (TCP/IP, SMTP, HTTP, SFTP, TELNET, DNS, DHCP and SNMP etc.)
  • Working knowledge of routing, VPN, firewall and system security
  • Solid troubleshooting abilities, both proactive and reactive
Abilities
  • Demonstrated excellence in documenting complex enterprise level systems and procedures
  • Able to proactively share and communicate complex technical and procedural information
Attributes
  • Logical thinker, step oriented problem solving
  • Good verbal and written communications, including presentation skills
  • Detailed-oriented and be able to effectively prioritize his/her efforts, follow-up to ensure all aspects of the engagement are addressed, and escalate issues appropriately
  • Proactive and results-oriented with good time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure and focus on multiple projects concurrently
  • Very hands-on person, willing to dive in and take charge, identifying and tackling key issues
  • Strong team player who is confident and challenged in a fast-paced environment supporting a wide range of technologies

Comments

• Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zefs wrote: »
    Need some help on deciding if i should go forward with this role.

So it's a 16% pay raise, plus bonuses. I also get bonuses where I work, while the target is 10% of my salary, it also depends on how well the company does profit wise, when the company does well I've gotten as much as a 15k bonus for the year, around 9k after taxes. With a 9% bonus, your looking at $5,800, also when you get higher up in an organization these bonuses go up, so if you get promoted in a couple years, you could be looking at a 14 or 15% bonus every year.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't even have applied to the position with that commute difference! But... I have a family/kids and those extra hours are too important to me.

Edit: I see the "Technical Support Analyst" title and all I can think about is how that was my exact title when I worked a call center. Probably isn't the same here, but that was not fun.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    So it's a 16% pay raise, plus bonuses. I also get bonuses where I work, while the target is 10% of my salary, it also depends on how well the company does profit wise, when the company does well I've gotten as much as a 15k bonus for the year, around 9k after taxes. With a 9% bonus, your looking at $5,800, also when you get higher up in an organization these bonuses go up, so if you get promoted in a couple years, you could be looking at a 14 or 15% bonus every year.
    Bonus is hardcoded. its 9% if you do well above expectations ( although i dont know how much you will get if you just met the expectations) But it is not dependant on if company is making money or not.

What about in terms of learning? Do you think its a better role than my current one in term of growing my career in future.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you move closer?
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    unless you are going to move closer, I'd say no. Life is too short for that type of commute.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    unless you are going to move closer, I'd say no. Life is too short for that type of commute.
    Do you think new job adds any value to my experience? Will it help me grow further in future or does it sound similiar to what i already do ?
  • Options
    it kinda looks similar. However, this is your life and your decision. I would hope you could find a similar position closer.
  • Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't take it. All that extra expense for gas and wear and tear on your car, plus lost personal time and vacation time. Not worth it.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't take it. All that extra expense for gas and wear and tear on your car, plus lost personal time and vacation time. Not worth it.

My sentiments exactly.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't take it. Doesn't seem worth it unless there are literally no other better job options close to where you are.

It does seem like a decent upgrade responsibility-wise and a move into SysAdmin if that's the route you want to take.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zefs wrote: »
    Now my current workplace is only 5.5 Kms away one way(10 min drive)
    The new place will 44Kms away one way(1-1.5 hrs drive depending on traffic)

And most of the extra income will go in cars expense due to traveling

It's 44 KM, 27 miles, can't you leave a little earlier for work to avoid the heavier morning rush hour? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? It's roughly 20,000 km more wear and tear on your car a year, it will take a good 6 to 7 years at least to wear out the car, given it's 16% more salary, and a 9% bonus, that's a 117k pay difference over seven years, that will buy a pretty nice car, including upkeep and fuel. The "... most of the extra income will go in cars expense due to traveling" statement is a little inaccurate in my opinion.

On the tech side of things, you did say your current job offers no new challenges. Sometimes it's grow or die in our field. you can't get too comfortable in any one position for too long in my opinion.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    LeBroke wrote: »
    I wouldn't take it. Doesn't seem worth it unless there are literally no other better job options close to where you are.

It does seem like a decent upgrade responsibility-wise and a move into SysAdmin if that's the route you want to take.

If you were in my shoes, and wanted to upgrade your skill path and career, Would you take this job? for this much travel and not so much extra $$
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    It's 44 KM, 27 miles, can't you leave a little earlier for work to avoid the heavier morning rush hour? 30 minutes? 60 minutes? It's roughly 20,000 km more wear and tear on your car a year, it will take a good 6 to 7 years at least to wear out the car, given it's 16% more salary, and a 9% bonus, that's a 117k pay difference over seven years, that will buy a pretty nice car, including upkeep and fuel. The "... most of the extra income will go in cars expense due to traveling" statement is a little inaccurate in my opinion.

On the tech side of things, you did say your current job offers no new challenges. Sometimes it's grow or die in our field. you can't get too comfortable in any one position for too long in my opinion.

I agree, hence i am constantly debating if i should or not. However travel in Toronto really does sucks.

Our highways are jammed pack most of the time. Doesnt matter how early i leave. Unless i want to get to work before 2 hours of starting my shift lol.
    I have done this much travelling in past and it took toll on me very fast as i was exhausted most of time etc. hence i am debating hard if it will be worth that much extra effort for my career
  • Options
    if that is the case, stay where you are.
  • Options
    I asked for 67 500 instead to make extra $. They counter offered me for 67k. So confused should i go for it lol
  • Options
    No. Consider your quality of life. Especially if you are still confused about it, which means to me that you have doubts and have that gut feeling.