Options

Getting back into the IT world.

kaimenn21kaimenn21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hello, I was looking for some advice for a person who had personal life problems, and created a long gap in their line of events to become a IT professional could do to get back in the industry.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After a very successful track record in college, 3.98 in Networking, preforming volunteer work, and working very hard to get my degree I had a large mass of personal issues culminate after graduating, that led me to not having work experience, and take a few years away from working, and being active in the I.T field.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With having a large sum of debt, an my drive returning to want to get back into the industry there are obvious gaps in my resume, with a lack of experience, that make it very difficult to find employment. I have considered looking into some certifications to augment my out-dated resume, and find new knowledge to arm myself. But I wondered which would be most helpful, what would help me break out into the IT industry, and if anyone has any personal experience in recovering with such issues.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any advice is welcome, Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd look into Cisco CCNA R&S. It's a good starting point.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Not working or being in IT isn't a death sentence for your IT career. You may have to start back at the bottom rung of the ladder, but if you have enough dedication and drive then you should have no issue climbing up that ladder.

First, what actual IT experience do you have? What did you do before? The entry points are probably going to be Help Desk or some sort of desktop support or PC repair. I would say either look at the CCNA (two exam route) or start on Microsoft certs (start with MTA just to get something on your resume), then start on the MCSA track. I wouldn't spend the money on the CompTIA certs as they are expensive and the ROI just isn't there in my opinion. You'd be better served doing the CCNA.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely have to look into the CCNA.

That was the main problem even before my time spent away furthering my career, was a lack of experience in a job environment. Going straight from high-school, into college, and not working during left my resume rather lacking in that department. While in college I was provided some work as a Teacher's Assistant, instructing in an IT environment, as well as re-routing, and maintaining a few computer labs. But outside of that, there wasn't much to put down.
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Put any volunteer experience down. Apply for temp contracts at an IT staffing company like TEKSystems, Apex etc.and as suggested acquire a CCNA. It's not impossible to get back into it and recover, but you'll need to work for it.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long were you out of work for? Definitely look into certs such as ccna and microsoft. If you must than you can take a survival job.
  • Options
    epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you dont have the big 3 start in A+ today. Professor Messer videos and order the Mike Meyers book. Look for any volunteer work around, put an ad out to do repair jobs. Last look for temp jobs. Another thing go back to your old instructor ask if he can help you out. I would also contact old classmates for help.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've certainly got the feeling it's going to require a good amount of work to get back to where I was, information and skills wise. Although as of this month I've been out of work for almost two years. I've got plenty of time to work things out, as I've had good people to rely on. It's mainly just getting back into an environment where I feel comfortable with my skills, and have a decent enough resume that people will even consider me.

I remember back in college I was in touch with a few recruiters from Teksystems. I can always give those guys a call and see if there is anything they'd be able to pass my way. As well just to mention, as of right now I don't have any cert's.
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This was me two years ago and change. I walked/ran away from a horrid position at a bank back into the loving embrace of IT. I got a training grant which paid for my CCNA R&S, ITIL Foundations, and Security+. I am much happier, but not yet better paid than I was at that crappy bank. But, onward and upward!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil