Options

Remote Access/Static IP

Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
My ISP has given me a Static IP , in the coming weeks i will be buy some cameras for the home (not sure which ones yet will decide that later)

So my question is:

The modem/Router provided by the ISP is pretty much locked down, i have access to parts of it. I have access to port forward part.
I am slightly confused with the IP addressing given to me.

So the IP address given to me is 89.*.*.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (/24), can that be right ? i thought i would be given like a /32 or /30
My default gateway given to me is 192.168.*.* a private IP.
Here is the info from my ISP router/modem ( i have LTE wireless Broadband)

I have then got my own TP link connected to the ISP router. With all devices connecting to my own router only.

Hoping i gave all relevant info needed. The private to Public to private is throwing me here. Where do i set up the forwarding is it on my TPlink or the ISP provided router. I tried giving my TPlink the static IP of 89.*.*.* and i lost access to it so had to reset it and start over.

Any comments appreciated. At the moment this will be first time i am trying port forwarding so doing it as a learning process too.

Y1PG1mk

Comments

• Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So the IP address given to me is 89.*.*.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (/24), can that be right ? i thought i would be given like a /32 or /30Y1PG1mk

Who says your ISP-provided device is the only one on that same subnet?

I have then got my own TP link connected to the ISP router. With all devices connecting to my own router only. The private to Public to private is throwing me here. Where do i set up the forwarding is it on my TPlink or the ISP provided router. I tried giving my TPlink the static IP of 89.*.*.* and i lost access to it so had to reset it and start over.Y1PG1mk

Both ends of the connection between your TP-Link and the ISP device should have IP addresses in 192.168.15.0/24. You have to configure the TP-Link's default gateway or router to be the ISP device (probably its internal IP address on the 192.168.15.0/24 subnet). That way, you will NAT 192.168.0.0/24 <-> 192.168.15.0/24 <-> whatever your static routable IP address is.

You may need to set up port forwarding twice: once on the ISP device to forward to the TP-Link and a second time on the TP-Link to forward the internal nodes on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)