What next?

SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
My choices are as follows:

Network+ (have a voucher that expires in 10 months)
CySA+
Cloud+
CASP

Since February 2018 I've passed A+, Project+, and most recently Security+. I'm trying to transition into a cyber role at some point after spending 12 years in client services. I'm leaning towards the following order:

Cloud+
CySA+
Network+ (just as a filler because I have the voucher for it)
CASP

but also want the best bang for the buck in terms of what looks the best in my quest for a new role so maybe swap the CySA and Cloud? Once I finish this CompTIA ladder I'm moving towards CISSP. Any thoughts?
[2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
[2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    What interests you? Start there.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What interests you? Start there.

Passing. icon_lol.gif
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+

LOL. Understood.
    LOL. Understood.

Sorry, had to say it. I'm actually really interested in transitioning eventually to cyber security.

Hey, sarcasm I can handle. There is an art to it.
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Squished wrote: »
    My choices are as follows:

Network+ (have a voucher that expires in 10 months)
    CySA+
    Cloud+
    CASP

Since February 2018 I've passed A+, Project+, and most recently Security+. I'm trying to transition into a cyber role at some point after spending 12 years in client services. I'm leaning towards the following order:

Cloud+
    CySA+
    Network+ (just as a filler because I have the voucher for it)
    CASP

but also want the best bang for the buck in terms of what looks the best in my quest for a new role so maybe swap the CySA and Cloud? Once I finish this CompTIA ladder I'm moving towards CISSP. Any thoughts?

If it were you I'd do the certs in the following order.

Network+
    CySA+
    Cloud+
    CASP

I feel like out of the four Network+ would be the easiest so you can knock that out and get it out of the way quickly. Cloud+ and CySA+ would be a toss up in level of difficulty but that varies on experience. I believe you have mentioned you have some experience with security so I'd go with CySA+ next, leaving CASP the last as that would probably be the most challenging of them all in the list.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
    Not That it means anything if I took the network exam then I would obtain the first stackable certification

On second thought if I took either of the other two I would have taken a stackable as well

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with Spiegel, though I would say that the middle two could be switched if you wanted to.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You already have a few entry level CompTIA certs, adding more isn't going to improve your prospects and land you a job. Skip them and go straight for the CISSP if you want to have an impact on your job search.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    You already have a few entry level CompTIA certs, adding more isn't going to improve your prospects and land you a job. Skip them and go straight for the CISSP if you want to have an impact on your job search.

I agree to disagree on this one. What I'm already seeing in interviews and offers is exactly what i want to be seeing. I have three prospects on the table right now. I could stop completely today and land myself a nice job for a few years if I really wanted to but I'm mainly doing these for me and because I'm actually enjoying studying and taking the exams....as odd as that sounds?

but also want the best bang for the buck in terms of what looks the best in my quest for a new role
    I agree to disagree on this one. ... I'm mainly doing these for me and because I'm actually enjoying studying and taking the exams....as odd as that sounds?

Sure, do what ever you want but you did come here asking for advice on "the best bang for the buck" which would be the CISSP over more entry level CompTIA hands down.

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Sure, do what ever you want but you did come here asking for advice on "the best bang for the buck" which would be the CISSP over more entry level CompTIA hands down.

CySA, Cloud and CASP aren't considered entry level? I don't think so anyway. CASP as I understand stands toe to toe with CISSP and has considerable overlap. As I mentioned, I just want to finish out the CompTIA ladder and then I'll move over to CISSP. Am I wrong there?

CySA, Cloud and CASP aren't considered entry level? I don't think so anyway. CASP as I understand stands toe to toe with CISSP and has considerable overlap. As I mentioned, I just want to finish out the CompTIA ladder and then I'll move over to CISSP. Am I wrong there?

Yes, those three CompTIA certs are not held in the same regard as CISSP which also has an experience requirement. How many jobs do you find when you search CISSP vs CASP?

Yes, those three CompTIA certs are not held in the same regard as CISSP which also has an experience requirement. How many jobs do you find when you search CISSP vs CASP?

Not disagreeing with you on that by any means. CISSP is definitely more well known but if I held a CASP I'd apply to any job that said CISSP on it. Like I said, plan to do CISSP, just want to finish out the CompTIA stuff because I enjoy it and then I'll go to CISSP. the CompTIA are good fillers while I'm working on my Master's through WGU. CISSP is going to take a little more time.