Options

Failed 901! 610 needed a 675 to pass

AODITAODIT Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
After taking the test I feel like some of the questions were weird for example the system was turning off after installing a cpu is it because of no thermal paste or because the power supply malfunctioned. There were alot of those close call situations IMO. So with that being said I will retake it. However heres my question to you gurus. Im not quiet sure where I fall short in knowledge at. I did recieve a paper saying some general things where I need to brush up on. Im not far from passing lol. Should I reread a book? Should I take the feedback from the test seriously and work on that? How long before I should dive in again? Thank you

Comments

• Options
    ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That stinks, but don't get frustrated. Keep moving onwards!

You were close, so I wouldn't wait too long. Certainly review the parts of the test where you were weaker, however, you will get a whole different bank of questions so an overall general review and even a reread of your material would be beneficial.

Since A+ is a more popular exam, if you have a bookstore nearby, you might find a couple A+ books you don't have that have some new fresh quizzes you haven't seen already, and just sit in the aisle and read the quizzes to get some fresh challenges.

By the way, I would say if you just changed out the CPU and the PC is powering up then off, that thermal paste is the issue and the CPU is heating enough to shut off the machine. See this happen a couple times when the heat sink brackets are loose or broken. :)
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just study more, keep taking tests and tests and scoring them until you know the right answer and you know the WHY of that answer.

I too failed my 901 in the first try and it caught me off guard like you because of the questions. The second time I scored 700+, and I knew already what was coming.

As for the answer about the cpu and the power supply. It is most likely the CPU, the CPU overheats and shuts off randomly every couple minutes, because of thermal paste, loose fittings etc. It could also be the power supply because I've experienced that myself. But in the scenario they gave you they are saying after you installed a CPU, so it most likely you failed to do something in there, the power supply couldn't be the problem since you never touched it or did anything with it, it 'supposedly' has been working fine.

That's how you start narrowing your options, once you learn that, the test will become easier.
  • Options
    PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AODIT wrote: »
    After taking the test I feel like some of the questions were weird for example the system was turning off after installing a cpu is it because of no thermal paste or because the power supply malfunctioned. There were alot of those close call situations IMO. So with that being said I will retake it. However heres my question to you gurus. Im not quiet sure where I fall short in knowledge at. I did recieve a paper saying some general things where I need to brush up on. Im not far from passing lol. Should I reread a book? Should I take the feedback from the test seriously and work on that? How long before I should dive in again? Thank you

You have to think 'What has changed?' The power supply was functioning perfectly well before hand. Only the CPU has changed, so the answer is the thermal paste. This is actually true for real life situations too.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • Options
    versoleversole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't stress over it man, you can defiantly pass it next time. Just review over the parts you got it wrong.
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the feedback and support! I will keep in mind everything that was said!
  • Options
    dmvtechnewbiedmvtechnewbie Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i barely passed it but for all frequent shut downs i put power-related issues....capacitor, power supply, etc
  • Options
    Thanks. And for everyone I discouraged I actually got an IT related position after I failed lol. So thats the positive spin now I just have to be discipline and study to take it again!
  • Options
    h1997potterh1997potter Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you need a cheap voucher to retake the exam I'm selling 2 for $75 each

Here are my eBay postings:

CompTIA A+ Cheapest (901 or 902) only $75 ( Expires Dec.2018 ) (2) http://r.ebay.com/MKhfYG

CompTIA A+ Cheapest (901 or 902) only $75 ( Expires Dec.2018 ) http://r.ebay.com/cfsYWS