Renewing expired CCNA cert

Boxer77Boxer77 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I earned my CCNA back in 2013 and let it expire in 2016. At the time, I didn't really see the point in keeping it because I didn't do a lot of networking and had no plans on leaving my job. Last week I had an interview and it came up that it was expired. I don't think it was the only reason I didn't get the job but it surely didn't help.

Last time I passed with the Odom books and Boson simulators and practice exams. I was planning on the same approach this time. I'm hoping I can push through it pretty quickly by skimming the first book and focusing on the second one followed by intense labs and practice exams. Has anyone else had any luck basically flying through the recertification process? I want to get it done ASAP and retry for the position if its available but don't want to set myself up for failure and be out the money.

Thanks!

Comments

• awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure about the composite test. I started with renewing CCENT and have been dragging feet on ICND2. Get the new books, as there are a lot of new topics added to the test.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am considering renewing mine as I let it expire as well. If you are looking for networking jobs then I would say definitely renew it. If you are looking at something more generic make sure the CCNA fits your needs. I don't know anything about the job you are applying for but I would be surprised if the opportunity was still there after you retest unless they specifically suggested this to you. If I retest I plan to Todd Lammle's book for the updated tests and lab like crazy. Good Luck!
  • Boxer77Boxer77 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    awitt11 wrote: »
    Not sure about the composite test. I started with renewing CCENT and have been dragging feet on ICND2. Get the new books, as there are a lot of new topics added to the test.

Thanks! I was first leaning to taking the composite but now I'm leaning towards taking them separate. It's a lot of information to digest. I also bought the new books.
  • Boxer77Boxer77 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I am considering renewing mine as I let it expire as well. If you are looking for networking jobs then I would say definitely renew it. If you are looking at something more generic make sure the CCNA fits your needs. I don't know anything about the job you are applying for but I would be surprised if the opportunity was still there after you retest unless they specifically suggested this to you. If I retest I plan to Todd Lammle's book for the updated tests and lab like crazy. Good Luck!

I don't expect the job to be there. It was more of a lesson of keeping myself prepared for next time.