Options

Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8

OlegVoronovOlegVoronov Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Abxtract
I'm considering to take the Oracle Certified Associate Java SE 8 to transit to a career in software engineering. But many people seem to think it doesn't help to achieve my career aim of becoming a software engineer or machine learning engineer.

I have a degree in mathematics so I believe a certification can show that I'm serious about programming. Or should I just focus my time on my side projects?

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Interesting dilemma you presented, portfolio vs. certificates. Building portfolio certainly would not hurt. That degree in math may actually open more doors than just Java Associate certification. So, portfolio first. BECOME a software engineer.
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got my OCA Java Programmer last week. I would say it's an impressive credential to have especially if you go on to get the OCP. It doesn't exactly teach you to program though. This is for people who want to master the ins and outs of Java. It tests heavily on corner cases and bad practices you won't see in the real world. The advantage is that you learn the features Java offers.
  • Options
    asingh10asingh10 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The learning you do while studying for the certification is definetely worth it, particularly when you go for interviews where they touch on basics. I have come across many java web devleopers who know how to use spring but they don't really have good grasp of core java. I passed the certification last november using Learn programming academy's course on udemy :-

https://www.udemy.com/oracle-java-associate-certification-exam-course-1z0-808/learn/v4/overview
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you go on to get the OCP I think it's most certainly worth it. However, the portfolio is very nice to have as well, IMO almost a must in some environments.

I would side with the projects, but the OCP would nice too.