Accepted New Position

f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
I interviewed this past Saturday for a Systems Administrator position at a well known national laboratory. I interviewed at 10:15am and received the offer at 3:00pm. I totally bombed the interview too. I felt like the interview was a Microsoft test, and I think I got over half wrong. But I did do great on the troubleshooting questions and overall the interviewers liked me.

I am going from 49,000yr to 90,000yr. I will have a long, long commute on Mondays and Tuesdays, but I will work from home Wednesdays and Thursdays and have Fridays off. I am really excited but nervous too as I was comfortable at my current position.
I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
[FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]

Comments

• SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's awesome, congrats man!!! Wow, 49k to 90k icon_eek.gif That is quite the leap. Can't wait to be able to make that jump as well. Good luck with your new job.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Awesome jump in pay.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Huge pay bump. Nicely done.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOWIE WOW WOW! Great job! You buying the jager shots? LOL
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nicely done!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say all that studying has paid off.

congrats on the new job.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    f16jetman wrote: »
    I interviewed this past Saturday for a Systems Administrator position at a well known national laboratory. I interviewed at 10:15am and received the offer at 3:00pm. I totally bombed the interview too. I felt like the interview was a Microsoft test, and I think I got over half wrong. But I did do great on the troubleshooting questions and overall the interviewers liked me.

LOL, I went into my last interview the position, I don't care if I get this job. There was 3 managers sitting there and I asked are you guys managers? Where's your ties? :) There was another manager on the phone I knew, they asked you of course know Lisette, and I told them I have no idea who that is. :) After 6 or 7 questions, I was like can't the rest of the questions be multiple choice? :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congratulations! Thats almost 100% pay bump.
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    *Clap*

*Clap*

*Clap*

Congratulations! Good for you!
  • MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bravo good sir.

Now, put at least half of that raise in the bank every month. Don’t let lifestyle creep take your whole check.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!! Nice upgrade in position and salary.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shane2 wrote: »
    Bravo good sir.

Now, put at least half of that raise in the bank every month. Don’t let lifestyle creep take your whole check.

Lifestyle creep slaughtered me. Lesson learned, we all need to learn it first before we practice it!
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man, pay bump is quite the achievement
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • f16jetmanf16jetman Member Posts: 108
    Thanks all for the congrats! As for lifestyle creep I think we will be able to combat it to an extent. My wife is stay at home and manages all the finances. I make the money, she makes sure the bills get paid and whatnot. She is really good at managing the current salary and I think she'll do great with the bigger one.
    There is an old saying "What you do with $100 you'll do with $1000", and I have been blessed to have a wife who is very wise with the "$100".

Though honestly, I have been thinking of all the things I can buy now, but we are first going to pay off WGU student loans, a credit card and her vehicle. Oh and also trade in my car and get a good used one. My AC is totally shot, the cruise control is broken and it is manual transmissions. I want an automatic again!

We are seeking to give more money to our church, help people pay for medicine prescriptions, or help out people as the opportunity arises.

Then maybe some flying lessons ;)
    I picked the wrong profession. Too much studying. :study:
    [FONT=&amp]Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, [/FONT][FONT=&amp]but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24[/FONT]