Network

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been looking at some job sites for network positions and noticed that there were only about 50 positions open for network admin and noc yet there were about 250 positions open for network engineer(in NYC). How do most people transition out of help desk to a noc position or network administrator position? Do most people get promoted to that position or do recruiters contact you about them? Seems like the hard part is getting someone to give you a chance in a noc or administration position and after that it's smooth sailing.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The isn't any industry standard in IT to match Job titles to their actual day-to-day activities. So you'll find that some of those network administrator positions are in reality more like network engineer positions, and vice versa. I wouldn't rely on the 50/250 admin/engineer metric too heavily as an indicator of the proportions of junior to senior positions available.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So are you saying that someone looking to get into networking after help desk should apply for some of these network engineer positions? That would make more sense since otherwise entry level seems non existent. How can i tell when I should apply to a particular networking position and when I shouldn't?
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apply for anything that interests you. Let the company decide if they want to move forward.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't get caught up in titles. Network engineer can be anything from answering phones to designing new technologies. Apply to positions you think are a good fit for your skill set.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.