Job Offer - Junior Security Engineer

northmanianorthmania Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Today I got an offer for Junior Endpoint Security Engineer. My question is should I accept the job role or wait for another security job to pop. Currently I am working as a Service Desk Engineer. I have CCENT and currently studying for ICND2, and Comptia Security+.

Is this a good way to break into information security. Please compare the requirements for both junior and senior role, and please tell if this is a great skill set to obtain and learn.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

• Support Analyses and troubleshoot issues connected to Endpoint Security products – AV, DLP, Encryption, HIPS
• Incident Management (ensuring all alerts, issues are accurately logged, reported and escalated appropriately)
• Performs health-checks

There is also a job offer for a Senior Endpoint Security Engineer from the same company and you can see the requriements.

ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned.
• Support Analyses and troubleshoot escalated issues from lower tier engineers, connected to Endpoint Security products – AV, DLP, Encryption, HIPS, etc.
• Incident Management (ensuring all alerts/issues are accurately logged, reported and escalated appropriately)
• Performs health-checks and audits on customers’ security solutions.
• Performs remote implementations/installations and post-installation tasks for different security solutions.
• On-site consultancy jobs – requires travelling to customers in UK and Europe periodically.
• Pre-sales jobs – advising and interacting with the end customer on security solutions
• Administrating and maintaining customers’ security products
•Support of security solutions, product management, upgrades and reporting for both on-prem and cloud solutions
•Recommends and implements security policies and procedures as a result of in depth research of potential harmful threats to the organization's IT infrastructure.
•Provide coordination for security event detection, identification and resolution.
•Develop technical security standards to support policies including assisting in creating and coordinating security monitoring standards and incident investigation procedures.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Of course it is.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Considering you have almost no certs......

either one of those would be killer .
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm assuming it would depend on your current skills and experience with each of the requirements in either of the job ads on whether which one would be a best fit. But if you're looking to get into security those sound like pretty typical security engineer roles. Unless you're looking to get into something more specific within security. Would really depend on where you want to go to determine if those are "great skill set to obtain and learn" .
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on getting the job offer. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and besides you are off the Service Desk.......
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the most difficult aspects of security can be getting your foot in the door. This opportunity would be a great chance for you to transition.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Basically the word SECURITY is in the title. Cant stress this strongly enough, regardless of where you go from here once you have that in the job title you will bypass many HR filters for better positions.

See other threads on here.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    triplea wrote: »
    Hi,

Basically the word SECURITY is in the title. Cant stress this strongly enough....

This is so accurate. I often think that HR cares more about job titles than the actual responsibilities of the role.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    triplea wrote: »
    Hi,

Basically the word SECURITY is in the title. Cant stress this strongly enough, regardless of where you go from here once you have that in the job title you will bypass many HR filters for better positions.

See other threads on here.
    I'm in my first security position and I insisted on having "Cyber" in my title.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not to poo poo on certifications, but IMO your focus should be secure this job which you did and learning as much as possible from it.

Most if not all people on this forum state experience is king. You will be gaining lots of it. When you hit a lull or downtime then cert up, until then mission focused and experience.

JMHO