Security+ 401 Passed BUT...

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
So I sat the 301 when it came out, using two sources Get Certified Get Ahead 301 (read twice) and Security+ Passport, CBT Nuggets and the notes/practice tests on this site. I passed with something like 96% or there abouts in 2013. Well that cert expired I wasn't aware I could resit the test before it expired in order to renew. Believing I had to just resit it all over again I just did. Again I followed the same procedure as I did the first time got the updated Get Certified Get Ahead and Security+ 401 (read twice) and Security+ All In One, read the notes on this site, took practice tests including those in the books. All in all I seemed to be doing well and expected a fairly comfortable pass.

I got to sit the test and almost every question (without getting into specifics) was on Cryptography and a few questions on routers down to you received XXX message or error.. which command will resolve this. Others where confusing I seriously had to read and reread the questions a few times to try and understand the context as there was more than one correct answer. It was very, very heavy on acronyms I had one question on ports and protocols! One simulated question with to be honest no correct answer as the question was as confusing as the answers. I barley passed this time and felt like a good half of the test I flat out guessed at. There was only a handful of questions I felt like I covered in the books. I skimmed the books again after all was done, I checked my practice questions again including those on CompTIA's website and nothing on in those came close to what I seen on that test. That test was brutal in the sense I felt like I got all the weird odd ball questions that at times where very, very specific. Do CompTIA increase the difficulty if you've sat an earlier version of the exam.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows why CompTIA no longer renew prior certs e.g. my GFL A+ and N+ are no longer CE just as they where.

Comments

• SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

The GFL certs should still be good. I couldn't find any information that states otherwise. GFL were never part of CE as they don't need renewing.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The exam included questions like what command would resolve an issue on a router? That doesn't sound like anything I've seen in my sources for Security+.
  • MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • m_echm_ech Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my shock over the router questions, I forgot to say congrats on your pass, too. :)

In the last couple days, I have indeed seen a couple Cisco commands in a practice test--MeasureUp, I think. Glad you were able to either guess correctly or, maybe, they were beta questions.
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • twolefteyestwolefteyes Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass I passed the 301 back when it was active and recently passed the 401.
    Certifications:
    [x]A+
    [x]Net+
    [x]Sec+
    [x]Linux+
    [x]CCNP R/S
    [?] Whats next?
  • dter78dter78 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Studying for it myself
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • MIMEMIME Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. If it makes you feel any better I took the Sec + exam in November 2016 (passed on the second attempt) and just passed my CISSP exam in late March. There were many aspects of the Sec + exam that I actually thought were harder than the CISSP including the TEN performance based questions I had. Good job, your pass is well deserved.
  • aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147
    Thanks, everyone. I checked with another person I know locally that sat the same test. They too just scraped by. The one thing we have in common.. we used the same test center. I sat a different exam at the same place a couple of months ago and again.. just scraped by and no more. Next time I'm going to go elsewhere. I don't know if it's bad luck or they have every test at that center set to almost certain fail but I'm not going back.