Options

SEC+ Fail and some questions/perspectives.

ITSurferITSurfer Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Without much studying other than the CertMaster tests and CCCure tests, i took Sec+ and scored a 695. I had reviewed most of the suggestions here about the Gibson book but it arrived about 4 days prior to taking the test so i was only able to finger through it and looked at the items i wasn't too comfortable with. There were only 2-3 questions on the test i had to completely guess and maybe 5-6 where i knew 2 of the 4 options were NOT correct and had to pick between the two remaining.

I rescheduled another in 5 weeks, i have the book and some other online resources. Am I being overly confident that reaching another 45 points should be fairly easy with dedicating about 2 hours a day on the book and other resources?

Im assuming that 45 points from the necessary 750 was fairly close and could have simply been but a handful of questions, but i don't want to assume anything and was hoping to get some opinions and perspective.

I don't plan taking the next test lightly.....I plan on reading the book at least twice over the next 5 weeks, doing the practice exams and the other online resources and spending some extra time on the areas they suggested upon completing the exams.

Comments

• Options
    MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did u take the 401 or the 501?
  • Options
    I took the 401.
  • Options
    MdaudMdaud Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh ok I'm also planning to take it sometime in May. Good luck
  • Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken the test yet, but the study plan you describe is similar to what many people seem to use for their first try. You have the advantage of knowing the format of the questions and knowing your weak spots. I would suggest the Gibson app along with the book. Many say that is one of the best resources for 401.
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

Go for the Darril Gibson and Mike Meyers book, IT Pro TV and CBT Nuggets for videos. Hope that helps.

Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Thanks. yeah, just buckling down and listening to Messers videos in the background at work and reading Gibsons book a few hours a day.
  • Options
    So I retook 401 the end of May, scored a 730 something. Felt good. Purchased same package again for but for 501 thinking it’s miving that way anyways. June and July read Gibsons 501, did all the exams, reread the parts I missed, did Certmaster c1, and Messer 501 YouTube while driving.....and only scored a 638 today on the 501.

Beyond frustrated and disappointed. 83 questions and there were only a few where I drew complete blanks, as in I couldn’t remember the acronyms at all and had I’m sure i would’ve been able to link or disassociate the Answer. Other than those I felt pretty confident.

Back to square one.
  • Options
    NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 on the Gibson flashcard app. If time is an issue, perhaps try timing yourself on practice tests/practice questions. One minute per question. For the books, run through them then perhaps strongly focus on the on the Remember this/Exam tip boxes, figures, and tables throughout those books. Good to know you use Messer's sources as well.

Acronyms seem to be a killer as well. There's an acronym page in the CompTIA Security 501+ objectives. So, perhaps run through that and see which ones are giving you a hard time? I plan to do that a few days before my exam.

I hope I pass this crap as well. I was planning to take it in July. But, pushed it back to late August due to other things getting the way (school).
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Options
    bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITSurfer wrote: »
    So I retook 401 the end of May, scored a 730 something. Felt good. Purchased same package again for but for 501 thinking it’s miving that way anyways. June and July read Gibsons 501, did all the exams, reread the parts I missed, did Certmaster c1, and Messer 501 YouTube while driving.....and only scored a 638 today on the 501.

Beyond frustrated and disappointed. 83 questions and there were only a few where I drew complete blanks, as in I couldn’t remember the acronyms at all and had I’m sure i would’ve been able to link or disassociate the Answer. Other than those I felt pretty confident.

Back to square one.

When do you plan on retaking the exam? Good luck on your next try! Gibson’s book is a pretty good book to use for studying.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • Options
    Not sure. I'm considering using a test prep but not sure what constitutes the forbidden **** or not. I was thinking of buying the Prepaway package where you download the simulator and then import the questions/answers and just practice taking the test. Anyone familiar with the PrepAway option?
  • Options
    Dayday15Dayday15 Member Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Message me if you still plan on taking sec +
  • Options
    NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To echo everyone in here, Gibson's GCGA book was a wonderful resource.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • Options
    Dayday15 said:
    Message me if you still plan on taking sec +

messaged you.