I lost my momentum

SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hi,

I lost my momentum... 2017 was a big certification years for me.. I did renew my VCP, SSCP, Veeam VMCE, Sonicwall CSSA and CISSP. After that, I have an hard time to focus to a cert goal. I still read almost every day... but I am wandering between Azure certification, ITIL, ISC CCSP.

I am thinking I need a quick goal... a quick win :) a 2-3 weeks goal to help me regain momentum... ITIL ? Other suggestion ?

Comments

• soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCSK?

Could be used as a primer to CCSP or Azure
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the basic ITIL that quick of a study? I wouldn't mind something quick to broaden my horizons. Will be interested in other suggestions that come up.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like the CCSK suggestion if you're planning on doing the CCSP. Hard to justify the cost as I don't think the cert is that cheap and don't consider it good bang for you buck. Could be knocked out in the time frame you're looking at though.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're burnt out duder...just chillax for awhile...dust off & tidy up your resume then start looking for more challenging position since you have some great certs...you can pretty much pick out any position you want.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Instead of working on a certification just to get one, especially if you may not see a return on the time and money invested, how about taking a class in something that will benefit you? There's plenty to choose from on Cybrary, Udemy, and others. Many are free.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like a miserable place to be.

Like others have suggested, pump the breaks and chillax.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How to get out of burnt out lol.. :)

For the CCSK, I will rather go directly to CCSP.. seem easy and not that different from CISSP.

I will see at the begining of May, next week I am at the Ingram Cloud Summit, so it is not class, but perhaps it will give me some time to chill and relax and see interesting tech and people.

By the way, anyone going to the Ingram Cloud Summit in Boca Raton next week ?
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on 2017.

I'd look into Python or possibly AWS.
    In 2018, I did watch a few Pluralsight video on Malware analysis and Azure. But I still lack the drive to sit myself and dedicated myself to an exam.

AWS is on the radar, but company-wise, we will go with Azure. The condition to be a reseller/consulting partner are better with Azure for us.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've previously been in that situation and rather than do yet another cert, I rented a cabin in the woods and walked around for a few days. You sound burnt out and might need to recharge your batteries with something other than studying.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I feel ya man. After doing the ISACA trio (CISM/CISA/CRISC) in 42 days last Summer, I completely bonked when it comes to studying for certs. I managed to pass the AWS CCP earlier this year because it was super easy. I've since tried to study for the AWS Sec Specialty unsuccessfully, as well as the CCSP. I just can't do it. Wish I could give some solid advice on how to refill the drive, but I'm trying to figure it out myself.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my perspective, once it's gone it's gone.

It's the evolution of a technical employee. Eventually you realize certifications can only take you so far, white pages, company ownership, blogs takes over.....

Sounds like you are ready for new challenges.

That's a good thing, good luck!
    I think it is temporary.... but I trying to kick myself in the butt ;)

Also I will have a new role where I work (CTO/CISO) later this year. So jumping off ship is out of question :)
    definitely hit the woods and go camping - it will recharge you much faster than avoiding geeky technical stuff.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Disconnected fishing weekend is planned for June :)
    No mobile connection is the first requirement when I book :)
    Beer and BBQ second :)
    Fish is the third requirement ;)
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I haven't hit that stride just yet but I totally understand where you're coming from. Like the other's said, you're probably burnt out. I'd recommend you work on a security lab if you haven't do so yet or just do casual reading on security . If you're completely done with InfoSec for next little while, try reading business books as the that's the other half of the battle when it comes to our industry.

Cheers,
    DZA_
    I am surely burntout on the cert side.. I still love my job, IT, IT sec...

I just lack the 2017's drive. It will kick back eventually... just trying to help it come back sooner.
    I am surely burntout on the cert side.. I still love my job, IT, IT sec...

I just lack the 2017's drive. It will kick back eventually... just trying to help it come back sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7qoonzTCE

8^D