Need general IT life advice

JY457JY457 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got back from talking to my academic counselors who've told me that I can now take one or two more classes for my A.S. and then transfer to a 4-year university to finish my B.S. in Computer Science.

For someone looking to get into the Networking (and, eventually, infosec/security) should I be looking to just get my A.S. in Computer Science and then get my CCNA/CCNC/MCSE and jump into the field, or should I wait it out and get my B.S. and then apply? I have the time and I can get the loans to do either, I'm just worried at this point that it'll take me too long to get my B.S. (I'd be 25) and the only work experience would be working retail.

Any life advice appreciated, even unrelated to my specific instance

Comments

• TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    don't stress, take your time, enjoy the ride. I finished my BS in Computer science when I was 28.

I'd go for the degree before the certs, that will land you an entry level job and you can start the certs while working.
  • JY457JY457 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    don't stress, take your time, enjoy the ride. I finished my BS in Computer science when I was 28.

I'd go for the degree before the certs, that will land you an entry level job and you can start the certs while working.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, really. My only concern is that I have no "real excuse" for taking this long in college other than "I'm absolutely terrible in math" - and that's not a great answer for why I've taken another year. I'm all-for getting my bachelors, I have a pretty good idea of where it stands 'hiring wise' that I can take it and use it to get several entry level jobs, I'm really just interested to know how much the degree in Computer Science is worth VS A.S. degree and having many certs.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would do a degree and get certification later. Certification are good to help you get to the next level and to prove experience with a product, but if you don't get hired because they filter based on your lack of degree, it would'nt help.

I was in your situation a while ago. I returned to finish an AS Degree (Cegep, something equivalent in Quebec,Canada) but as I were 26 when I got diplomed and as life stirred me toward getting a job. Then now, I am 42, I still have only an AS but many certs. In some case, my lack of degree would make my resume non-acceptable despite a great resume. So, my only regret in my career is to not have continued and get a degree.

Cert are short term goal that can be reach later.
  • JY457JY457 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would do a degree and get certification later. Certification are good to help you get to the next level and to prove experience with a product, but if you don't get hired because they filter based on your lack of degree, it would'nt help.

I was in your situation a while ago. I returned to finish an AS Degree (Cegep, something equivalent in Quebec,Canada) but as I were 26 when I got diplomed and as life stirred me toward getting a job. Then now, I am 42, I still have only an AS but many certs. In some case, my lack of degree would make my resume non-acceptable despite a great resume. So, my only regret in my career is to not have continued and get a degree.

Cert are short term goal that can be reach later.

Thank you for the advice, I definitely think I'm going to be finishing my degree then
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The AS degree could hold in the case where you already have some certs and relevant experience in the amount of 5+ years. The BS degree on the other hand could be used to waive some of that experience requirements, so it definitely in normal circumstances could add more value than just an AS + certs.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do the BS. But try to take an elective on networking and also infosec if you can squeeze it in. This is a perfect time to get a taste of both.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another vote for degree first. A degree early on may impact your career and open doors and paths for you that may not be present otherwise. Your area of interest may shift or be influenced by what you learn in school. Certs also become dated and irrelevant over time as they are tied to specific technologies (usually/ exception maybe some business/process certs- although those seem to change with trends too). Might make more sense to cert up once you have an idea more your area of interest/focus and then be current with that as you go to the job market. Lots of good advice here though, just my .02.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finish both the BS and some certs before applying. You might get a job with just a few certs, but then it'll be harder to find time to go back and get the degree. And with just a degree, no one will hire you. So do both.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I completed my AS in Networking last year at age 27. I got a Desktop job right after graduation, now a year later I just obtained my CCNA and am on the path I want to be. I would place priority on the degree, but attempt certs while in school if possible. Also, WGU gives credits for certs so you can knock out 2 birds with 1 stone there. Cheers and good luck!