Options

Resume after being promoted?

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
Scrubbed Updated Resume.doc

So I got promoted earlier this year. Basically, it comes with more projects and responsibilities and I'm the lead on most everything for anything security that isn't outsourced. I wasn't 100% sure how to reflect that on my resume. As you can see, I didn't want to duplicate anything so I just added the couple extra things for my new title. Thoughts on everything? What should I modify?

Comments

• Options
    azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Scrubbed Updated Resume.doc

So I got promoted earlier this year. Basically, it comes with more projects and responsibilities and I'm the lead on most everything for anything security that isn't outsourced. I wasn't 100% sure how to reflect that on my resume. As you can see, I didn't want to duplicate anything so I just added the couple extra things for my new title. Thoughts on everything? What should I modify?

i usually only add the latest role and duties with company and talk about it further during the interview ( bragging of how i was successful and moved up ladders in company.
  • Options
    Good point, maybe I do that. Makes it so everything I do is all in one set of bullet points rather than them having to go back and forth.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a big fan of listing only the latest thing. When you work for company A in position TIER3 for 3 years, then promoted to TIER4 for the past 2 months, but put it down like you were TIER4 for 3yr and 2 mo, I feel lied to.

With the way you have this formatted, there's nothing wrong with listing it as a "new" position and just mention that you were promoted inhouse, not a "left and came back" sort of thing. I personally like it as posted just fine. No one will get confused when they see "Company 1" listed twice in succession.

My opinion is that any time you have a major change in responsibilities, that denotes a new "job." It also helps give the reviewer a delineation that your duties changed, and a clear upward progression, which is a great thing to see.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    I would format it this way:

Company X (09/2016 - Current)
    Security Engineer 01/18 - Current
    details...
    details...
    details...

Security Analyst 09/2016 - 01/18
    details...
    details...
    details...

Company Y (06/2016 - 09/2016)

And so on and so forth...
  • Options
    Hmm okay, then sounds like my resume looks decent the way it is. Got passed over pretty quickly for a job I applied for that I met all the requirements, so I was just double-checking to make sure my resume looked ok. Guessing there was another factor there.