Options

Info on Pentest+

DazeddDazedd Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody, have any of you taken the Pentest + beta yet? If so how would you rate it? Trying to decide which offensive security cert to grab here in the near future, considering CEH, GPEN, and some others. If it's worth the time and money I might take the Pentest+ when it arrives but I wanted to gather some more perspectives and feedback before I decide anything.
icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you want a pentest cert, I would go either with OSCP, EJPT, then Pentest+ . Pentest+ is third because not a lot is know about the test yet.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    If you have some experience with pen testing, i would go ahead and take the Pentest+ while its still in beta (only $50). You won't know if you passed or failed until the official release date. If you failed, you can at least know if its a cert you want to pursue. If you passed, only got a new cert for only $50. I think the 25th of April is the last day to take the beta version.
  • Options
    AaronW1994AaronW1994 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the PenTest+ Beta on the 20th. It was a very good exam IMO, basically a more technical version of the CEH.
    Lots of Bash and NMap questions, knowledge of the tools is a super plus, as well as compliance and regulations. For $30 I would recommend at least giving it a try before the beta's cutoff date.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO, read the CEH Matt Walker book, so you can get a basic fundamentals of ethical hacking...Install Kali Linux & several vulnerable older OS VM's to run exploits against...Find some pentest labs online & practice, practice, practice in your lab environment. It takes years of hands on experience to be a great Pentester. By the time you do all that, you might be ready to take a Penetration exam. I took the beta, and probably failed it, but that is ok...it was a great experience and learned a lot.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wheeelp, Pentest+ beta tests are done.

Anyone have a time-frame that it took for the CySA+ to finish it's review from when the tests were finished?
    I looks like I took my CySA+ beta in August of that year, and the scores were released in December of that year.

Anyone know if August was about the end of the Beta tests for CySA+, like Pentest+ just ended their beta tests?
  • Options
    I recall seeing a post on here recently of someone taking the PenTest+ beta in late March & rec'd their results like a month later. Who knows, I guess it all depends on how well you did on the exam.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recall someone thinking that they got it, when CSA+ changed to CySA+, but that was a red herring
    somewhere around here http://www.techexams.net/forums/other-comptia-certifications/131002-registered-pentest-who-else-registered-3.html#post1139737

Somewhere else I saw someone say that you wouldn't get results for Pentest+ till the official Launch Date, which is July 31, 2018 per https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/pentest

We'll see!
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    I recall seeing a post on here recently of someone taking the PenTest+ beta in late March & rec'd their results like a month later. Who knows, I guess it all depends on how well you did on the exam.

No one has received results yet because they haven't even decided what the passing score is and what questions they are throwing out. The score cut is from May 14th - 18th. So anyone who says they recieved results is lying to you.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    McxRisley wrote: »
    No one has received results yet because they haven't even decided what the passing score is and what questions they are throwing out. The score cut is from May 14th - 18th. So anyone who says they recieved results is lying to you.

Ahhh, yes...looks like that post was edited & it was about their CySA+ cert instead of PenTest+
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ahhh, yes...looks like that post was edited & it was about their CySA+ cert instead of PenTest+

Ah ya, I think a lot of people got a little excited when that email went out lol. I would suspect that those of us who took the exam will know if we passed or not by either the end of the month or early June. If they follow the same time line that they did with the CSA+.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yea, that was me. The content didn't change. I just corrected spelling errors. I'm glad I got some people excited though, even if it was for the wrong reason. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wheeelp, Pentest+ beta tests are done.

Anyone have a time-frame that it took for the CySA+ to finish it's review from when the tests were finished?
    I looks like I took my CySA+ beta in August of that year, and the scores were released in December of that year.

Anyone know if August was about the end of the Beta tests for CySA+, like Pentest+ just ended their beta tests?

Somewhere else I saw someone say that you wouldn't get results for Pentest+ till the official Launch Date, which is July 31, 2018

I took CySA+ the first Monday it was out, and that was in July. So Jul-Dec was five months, Feb-July would also be five months. The official statement for CySA+ was that results wouldn't be out until when the cert launched, if I remember correctly. They have a cut score workshop in a couple weeks, so it's possible we could get the results as early as June. But I would guess early July is the best bet.