Failed CISSP New Format 24 April

raev40raev40 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the new CISSP format this morning and I failed it. The questions were based on numerous things I had never seen in any of the practice exams I tool and the 2015 Sybex Book was not up to date for the questions asked.

Some of the steps I had taken to get ready

Training Camp Boot Camp 1 week
Sybe &7th edition Cover to Cover
11th Hour Cover to cover
Flash Cards

My recommendation is to wait until ISC2 goe s and pushes out the new book. As of right now the new exam is unfair based on question and topics not in any of the reading material I read prior.

Comments

• bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A lot of people passed the new format on the first try using older materials, so I do not think the exam is unfair.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • raev40raev40 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you taken the new format or just giving your opinion?
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't forget that you will get up to 25 unscored questions that may cover new or different material. I'm not sure that one could take a single exam and determine conclusively that the material they were unfamiliar with was in the scored questions.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • raev40raev40 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did get 150 questions so its possible, however there was probably between 40-45 questions on material I did not recognize at all or was not discussed in the Boot Camp/individual studying. I think the test is based on the new book coming out. I'll retest at the end of May.
  • SecurityGuru23SecurityGuru23 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    raev40 wrote: »
    I did get 150 questions so its possible, however there was probably between 40-45 questions on material I did not recognize at all or was not discussed in the Boot Camp/individual studying. I think the test is based on the new book coming out. I'll retest at the end of May.

Try not to worry about it too much, it's not an easy exam. Most have passed have taken it multiple times (myself included) so it's not that big of a deal if you don't pass it on your first attempt. Focus on your weak areas, take some time off to study if you can, and retake the exam with a positive attitude and READ each question 3 times or more.

Good luck!
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    You are not alone. I personally know 4 people that took it. They did the same as you. They all failed.
    raev40 wrote: »
    I took the new CISSP format this morning and I failed it. The questions were based on numerous things I had never seen in any of the practice exams I tool and the 2015 Sybex Book was not up to date for the questions asked.

Some of the steps I had taken to get ready

Training Camp Boot Camp 1 week
    Sybe &7th edition Cover to Cover
    11th Hour Cover to cover
    Flash Cards

My recommendation is to wait until ISC2 goe s and pushes out the new book. As of right now the new exam is unfair based on question and topics not in any of the reading material I read prior.
  • franziskanerfranziskaner Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The new content came into affect around the 15th I think, so probably you did have some new questions. It's not supposed be to be vastly different from the 2015 version though.

I sat the exam just before that change and used old study material. I agree that the questions feel unfamiliar to a certain extent and a lot of it I couldn't really pinpoint sections of the books I would have been able to find the answer, but I think that is the nature of the exam rather than the study material being outdated. I think it would be hard even if you had the book in the exam room.

The questions I think are more related to understanding concepts that are in the study guides and being able to apply those in different situations. That makes it hard as it's not possible to memorise sections of the books and pass.

Hope it goes better for you next time.
  • pollobukpollobuk Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    could you please tell your IT back ground please.. may be you were thinkin too much technical. I have noticed your missing ISC2 official exam questions and cybrary videos in your used study material. Guess this will help you to connect the missing links.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pollobuk wrote: »
    could you please tell your IT back ground please.. may be you were thinkin too much technical. I have noticed your missing ISC2 official exam questions and cybrary videos in your used study material. Guess this will help you to connect the missing links.

Whenever I hear the words "boot camp" and CISSP in the same sentence I cringe. The exam is supposed to be passable based on overall at least five years of IT and Security experience. Hence why you hear of two vastly different experiences. One, it was an easy exam to pass. Just a comprehension exam types of comments. The second type are the "male child birth types" that tell you its the most difficult thing they have ever witnessed and should be banned under international agreement limiting torture through academic or testing means.

From what I understand the questions formatted this month haven't been integrated into the exam yet. Yes, by invitation a number of people gather to write new question material. Waiting for the next book will only net you a few new questions. The test bank is enormous and moves like a glacier.

Don't expect quiz books and boot camps for questions. Once those questions are leaked they simply get replaced in the database.

- b/eads
  • bhanu_gopularambhanu_gopularam Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you have not passed. But I hope this experience helps to excel next time.

Could you give more information on questions and domains
    1. Does the new format has more study than the 8 domains listed in syllabus
    2. Did you see more questions on new areas like Cloud, IPV6? any info to domains would be helpful

Thanks
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What beads mentions above is true. This exam is supposed to validate what you should already know. There is nothing spectacularly different that you learn in any of the textbooks compared to other security related exams. The only thing I found irritating was that it appeared to be more of a reading comprehension exam more than anything else.

What I usually tell my younger co-workers is that I felt that the Sec+ was harder but only because I took that exam when I was at the start of my IT career. As you progress in years, these exams get easier.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Based on your listed study material, how many practice questions did you go through? Did you use any exam simulators? Personally I found exam simulators (BOSON, Transcender) did improve my thought process from when I wrote the second time around. I spoke to a few folks who did the exam previously within the last year and we've collectively agreed that you have to run through a couple thousand to get grounded. I would say focus on the areas that were the weakest and use the exam simulators to help tie up loose ends. Good luck on your next attempt.