CASP CAS-002 or 003?

roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
Since the 002 exam will die in October, is it worth going the 003 route? Are the two very dissimilar or will some of the older 003 material work without issue?

Editied because I cannot read...

Comments

• LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm assuming you had a typo and meant CAS-002 or CAS-003.

To see what is different, you will have to compare the course objectives from both and make a decision if you would be stronger on one test compared to the other. The one constant across all tests is when an update is made is in terms of course study material. If you take CAS-002, there is plenty of material that has been authored specifically for that test number. I haven't searched for CAS-003 material, but usually there are minor errors in the information and practice tests due to the rush of releasing in time for people to buy and use it. Also, CompTIA may have question quality issues at the beginning of 003's release until they make revisions and updates.

My honest take on it is you have plenty of time to study and pass the CAS-002 if your plan was to take it. Go for that with the material that is already out. Looking at your certs, it should not be difficult for you at all with your knowledge set.
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LSagee wrote: »
    I'm assuming you had a typo and meant CAS-002 or CAS-003.

To see what is different, you will have to compare the course objectives from both and make a decision if you would be stronger on one test compared to the other. The one constant across all tests is when an update is made is in terms of course study material. If you take CAS-002, there is plenty of material that has been authored specifically for that test number. I haven't searched for CAS-003 material, but usually there are minor errors in the information and practice tests due to the rush of releasing in time for people to buy and use it. Also, CompTIA may have question quality issues at the beginning of 003's release until they make revisions and updates.

My honest take on it is you have plenty of time to study and pass the CAS-002 if your plan was to take it. Go for that with the material that is already out. Looking at your certs, it should not be difficult for you at all with your knowledge set.

Thanks for the advice LSagee - and I corrected the blunder...
    No biggy. Although challenging and stressful because I paid out of pocket for this one, I personally did not find it on the extreme end of the difficulty scale. I am sure you will do well. Happy studying!
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LSagee wrote: »
    No biggy. Although challenging and stressful because I paid out of pocket for this one, I personally did not find it on the extreme end of the difficulty scale. I am sure you will do well. Happy studying!

One question I do have, what are the primary performance items on? Are they similar to the CySA+? Or do they test different information? Trying to understand what to study for the performance based scenarios.
  • billdrake897billdrake897 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    VceTests provides valid CompTIA CAS-003 exam **** that are verified by expert IT professionals. We have CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) CAS-003 vce questions of CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner with verified answers that can be of great help for students looking for CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP) questions answers.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOW, already on their 3rd edition of CASP? That exam is what? 2-3yrs old. Those older tests must have been really crappy.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • stekirbystekirby Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    WOW, already on their 3rd edition of CASP? That exam is what? 2-3yrs old. Those older tests must have been really crappy.

CAS-002 was launched on 20 January 2015. I don't recall when CAS-001 was introduced, but the publication date on the study guide is 2012. So it looks like CompTIA have been consistent about releasing a new edition every 3 years or so. I suspect you're confusing CASP with the CSA+/CySA+. The latter was first released in 2017.
  • buffguytvbuffguytv Registered Users Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another user mentioned comparing course objectives. I support this. I took the CAS-002 back in APril 2016 and found the exam extremely difficult. I honestly dont believe I should of passed that test, as I guess the "best" answer to a particular problem numerous times. I found alot of management questions in it. I would strongly recommend reading CISSP as I believe the objectives and domains would cover both cas-002 and 003.

I also see the thread date was for April, and see that you have your cert. Congratz. I will post this anyways incase other users end up on this thread with similar questions.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    stekirby wrote: »
    CAS-002 was launched on 20 January 2015. I don't recall when CAS-001 was introduced, but the publication date on the study guide is 2012. So it looks like CompTIA have been consistent about releasing a new edition every 3 years or so. I suspect you're confusing CASP with the CSA+/CySA+. The latter was first released in 2017.

Where did CySA/CSA come from in this discussion? DOH!

I still haven't found when CAS-001 was released anywhere...at least Google has not found it for me yet. Perhaps it was the beta CASP exam.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • stekirbystekirby Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    shochan wrote: »
    Where did CySA/CSA come from in this discussion? DOH!

I still haven't found when CAS-001 was released anywhere...at least Google has not found it for me yet. Perhaps it was the beta CASP exam.

A Google/Bing search reveals that CASP received ANSI accreditation on 13 December 2011.

https://www.ansi.org/Accreditation/credentialing/personnel-certification/AllDirectoryDetails?&prgID=201&OrgId=93&statusID=4

It's doubtful that Sybex would have produced a study guide for a beta exam. As I noted, their guide for CAS-001 was published in 2012.
  • koujaianhkoujaianh Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you get to choose to take the CAS-002 or CAS-003 when you sign up for the test? Thanks
    If I recall correctly, yes. You pick the test number and then buy the corresponding voucher.
  • swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you go to Pearson Vue it will give you the choice of either one