Benefits of these classes for a networker ?

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm a student at the University of Southern MS and was wondering aside from the vast amount of liberal art courses and the 4 Cisco classes and 2 windows server classes how important are these other classes and would they benefit me.

(c++ and c++2)

(Human Computer) =Surveys the five major sub disciplines of anthropology (physical anthropology, archaeology, linguistics, social/cultural anthropology and applied anthropology) to provide the student with a holistic understanding of humanity’s social and biological diversity.

(SQL)

Project Management

(Unix)

(CGI programming)

(Computers and Society) = Ethical issues for technical professionals, social impact of professional and entrepreneurial activity, the social impact of computer technology; oral communication-intensive. Writing-intensive

(Internet Information Server) = Installation and configuration of a popular NOS as an Internet information server.

I was also wondering what type of work/ position i should be applying for given i end up finishing the BS in computer networking.
I'm a junior at the moment.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly, all of the classes you've listed have value, thus of varying importance.

Here are my questions for you:

1. Are you going to pursue certification as a CCNA after your classes are finished? If not, why not?

2. Have you had any internships or have you been working in an IT-related part-time job? If not, why not?

3. Have you joined any IT meet-ups in your area? If not, I would recommend finding one or even starting one. That will provide you with networking opportunities and show future employers that you are engaged in the IT world.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im currently studying for my CCNA on the side whenever im able to find the time, thats a main goal for me. As far as internships go there is a chance for me to do one during my last semester. As for IT groups, no i stay away from the kids on campus and there organizations. Im prior service Army and i know the difference between class and boots on the ground and 3 months of training the army gave me was BS compared to going into the field, i basically started from ground up and did well from that point on. But the college aspect of things just isnt for me, most of these classes i end up leaving just having a general idea about the course work and as time goes on with other classes i end up forgetting about the stuff i learned in the past. For example, my windows server class i took 2 years ago and all the work i did in power shell, i literally have forgotten everything about it as if i never took it. between all the liberal art studies that take up most of the time that ill never use, i squeeze by these IT courses and focus my spare time on obtaining my CCNA. Basically College has been the most worthless thing i have ever done with my life thus far, in my opinion that is.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go for classes that sound interesting to you. Really, don't even think it about much further.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd skip C++ and go for Python. Not only is it an easier language to code in or run (it's interpreted, not compiled, so all you need is a plain text python script to run it), but it'll also benefit you more in your career.

Even networking is finally hopping onboard the automation train, and majority of tools written for it are in Python. As well as giving you the ability to write your own scripts, use device APIs, etc.

I'd also definitely take UNIX, it's extremely useful in general. Hell, majority of networking devices that aren't Cisco or JunOS run their own flavour of UNIX/Linux (F5 is a CentOS 5 fork, for example), and it can be useful to troubleshoot their base OS. Or combine automation with UNIX knowledge and do stuff like write Ansible modules.

I actually took a class similar to Computer and Society you describe. While it was extremely useless for my career, it's pretty interesting in the context of discussing privacy, ethics of technology (i.e. do you program a self-driving car to protect the driver at all costs, or do you program it to minimize total damage/human life, even at the expense of the driver?), and similar stuff.

That said, if you learn by doing, then classes you take aren't going to matter much. Take what you feel is interesting.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, JunOS is based on FreeBSD so it is UNIX and some Cisco devices such as ASA are Linux based, some Aruba stuff runs on CentOS and most HP/Aruba switches and APs run something *nix based as well. So, definitely take the UNIX class.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really like that you can get some exposure to IIS.

https://www.iis.net/