Awards in Cybersecurity and IT in general

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
lately I've been seeing so many posts on my LinkedIn feed of some random people mainly C level people and especially CISO's either being nominated or awarded some random named fancy trophy and my question is how are these people selected?
What have they achieved to receive these awards and nominations and more importantly has anyone here received such? What do you think about them?

Personally I call Bs.

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see much merit in any of it when I see it across my feed. The same goes for business awards. "Named the top blah blah of xxxx by y" - all fluff.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The pool of nominees might be very small, thus almost guaranteeing a win?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awards are the fluff certifications for executives. If you look at the nomination criteria, you'll notice that some allow self-nomination.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    either being nominated or awarded some random named fancy trophy

Why do you care about random trophy's? If said company wants to honor said individuals for whatever internal goals were accomplished, so be it. We have no clue or insight into that business relationship.

Plus it doesn't hurt to show on your resume or linkedin being recognized and appreciated by any of your employers. There are many benefits to an employer, other than IT realted in seeing such accolades.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Why do you care about random trophy's? If said company wants to honor said individuals for whatever internal goals were accomplished, so be it. We have no clue or insight into that business relationship.

Plus it doesn't hurt to show on your resume or linkedin being recognized and appreciated by any of your employers. There are many benefits to an employer, other than IT realted in seeing such accolades.

These are not internal employee awards. I don't care, I'm just curious how they figure out the winner if 5 CISO's are nominated and they give the award to 1 of them. like what criteria do they use to make that decision.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My agency has Director awards for various things. Most of us just laugh about it and make fun of those who win as it's really one of those things to make management feel great about themselves. My previous unit (at another agency) received an Attorney General award and it was largely based on work I had done. I had left by the time it was awarded and though my boss submitted it with my name as part of the unit management removed it. Ultimately we all know what we do don't need any accolades as the work shows for itself.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Totally BS. Linkedin feed on almost 100% consists of useless unfounded self-promotion. I almost never read it
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□