Options

Sec+ Exam Set!

SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I started to study for the Security+ exam. Now I'm in a near ready position with an exam date of May 4th. Pretty excited to finally complete the trifecta certs.

Working on cryptography, access controls and identity management, and application, data and host security objectives of the exam as I appear to be the weakest in those three objectives. Regardless, feeling pretty good that I'll be able to pass this coming Friday. Took the day off that day for the exam. Plan to watch some Star Wars no matter the outcome.
Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise

Comments

• Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck to you! It sounds like you're in good shape.

That's my exam day, too. I have a baseball game that night, also no matter the outcome. :)
  • Options
    D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Options
    LosinMahPacketzLosinMahPacketz Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    May the 4th be with you. What did you use to study? I recall you debating on what material you were going to use for practice questions.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Perhaps you will be celebrating on Cinco de Mayo with tequila shots!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    May the 4th be with you. What did you use to study? I recall you debating on what material you were going to use for practice questions.
    Materials I'm using...

Book
    • Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead SYO-401 Study Guide by Darril Gibson

Practice Exams
    • CompTIA Security+ Certification Practice Exams, Second Edition by Daniel Lachance and Glen E. Clarke
    • Total Tester Security+ PE (from Total Seminars, came with the Practice Exam book)
    • CompTIA Security+ App by Darril Gibson
    • Pratice Exams and Labs from WGU Security+ course
    Took me a little over a month to read the book because of work and family obligations. Probably took me about 2 1/2 weeks of actual reading time. Have spent the last week drilling on the practice exams.
    shochan wrote: »
    Perhaps you will be celebrating on Cinco de Mayo with tequila shots!

I'll probably drink but not tequila. Tequila messes me up. lol I will be hunting down free comics and good deals for Free Comic Book Day though which is also this Saturday.
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials

• Options
    Just passed the exam! I found it much more difficult than my Net+. Barely made it over the pass threshold. There were a lot of screwball questions. One in particular regarding a POODLE attack. I don’t recall ever coming across that in my studies.

Anyways. Just happy for the win. Happy May 4th everyone!

• Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I passed yesterday, too. At one point I seriously wondered whether I'd gotten the 501 version.

The only reason I knew the POODLE answer is because I actually had to apply the fix four years ago. I noticed this morning that Darril Gibson has added this to his test banks, but I assume it's recent. Another reason why anyone who's looking at this test should buy the GCGA premium content; it definitely saved me on some other questions.

I will say that the version we took yesterday required a ton of applying what you learned vs. rote memorization, which at least legitimizes the test.

Hope you enjoyed your movies.
  • Options
    PersianImmortalPersianImmortal Member Posts: 124 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and welcome to the club! :D
    Whats next?
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

@mmcabe: Thanks and congrats on your win! Enjoyed watching some Stars Wars for May 4th. Also treated myself to some comics for Free Comic Book Day sales on Saturday for passing the exam.

@nisti2: As far as my next cert I'll be focusing on CCENT next. Have a few courses left for school to complete so will be switching gears in that direction first. Will try to overlap some CCENT studies if I can to get a head start.

I will also be taking my MTA 98-349 OS Fundamentals sometime this week or the next. It is just to meet the job requirements for a senior PC tech position. Not sure why they'd ask for an MTA but hey, it will come with a pay raise so I'm all for that. lol