Options

Question about colleges.

NewbBrandonNewbBrandon Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone who has went to any of the Online Colleges and gotten a degree in Cyber Security has had any issues with employers not recognizing your degree because it is not from a "Actual" school. I was told by a friend of mine that some employers are picky about that.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're really concerned, most "actual schools" have classes online too. To answer your question though, lots of people here, myself included, have degrees from online programs, in security, and have no problem with employment.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. I figured as much but I just wanted to be sure.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have both, figure out what works for you..
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The "actual school" part is loosely defined, but as long as a college has regional accreditation (not national) it's typically considered an actual school and the credits are transferable.

That said, I was informed by a potential employer that they would not count my BS in Computer Information Systems as a STEM degree, but they do count my AS in Network Security from UAT, and my MS in Cybersecurity from UMUC as STEM degrees. All three of these were completed online.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when it comes down to it, every individual hiring manager has his/her own preferences. The company may recognize any degree, but the hiring manager may choose someone who went to his alma mater versus any other school. You really can't plan for this, so don't let it get to you.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Speaking from experience:
    BS: CS
    MBA (online)

The learning model has changed for the better since you can use the internet for more than just going on social media or wasting time on video content. The problem with a lot of people who have never done online learning is that they are worried their degree will not stack up with a prestigious university. News flash, it won't! Online degrees should be used to augment your CV and help you bypass a hiring filter. Once you get the call for an interview, wow them with what you know
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, if you want to bolster the credibility of a security program's worth, I would check out institutions that have met the criteria for "National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense", which is sponsored by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

More info: https://www.nsa.gov/resources/educators/centers-academic-excellence/cyber-defense/

It's not an absolute guarantee of what the output may be for you, but I know it gives my degree a leg to stand on if ever challenged. If any of these schools are nearby or appear to show what you're looking for, I highly recommend reviewing them in-depth.
  • Options
    Thank you for everyone who has responded. Has anyone who went to WGU ran into any issues with employers not valuing the degree you get from there?
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a former boss/manager that disvalued having a degree. Turns out she flunked out of college many years ago. I image there is a bitter HR employee or hiring manager out there that doesn't like a school or a cert for some reason. Unless the job ad has wording restricting what kind of degree is required, it really doesn't matter where you got it at.

Other than those fringe cases, the only one that cares where the degree came from or what courses or major you had is the school itself so they can make money off you.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Thank you for everyone who has responded to this thread. You have given me some good food for thought. Thanks again!!