Options

Looking at maybe IT Sec... any good place to jump in?

Wrighty11xblWrighty11xbl Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

So, I've been an Systems Administrator for about 10 months now and I am looking to progress further in the field. Having thought about it, I like the idea of InfoSec or IT Secuirty and just wondering where to start.

Bit of background on what I do now.

I manage about 7 schools network from top to bottom. So pretty much doing anything like desktop support to network/internet firewall editing and full domain administration.

I know linux is one thing i NEED to learn, is there anything else I should do or maybe check out to assist in learning?

Thanks in adance.

Comments

• Options
    mmcabemmcabe Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Hope you are all well.

So, I've been an Systems Administrator for about 10 months now and I am looking to progress further in the field. Having thought about it, I like the idea of InfoSec or IT Secuirty and just wondering where to start.

Bit of background on what I do now.

I manage about 7 schools network from top to bottom. So pretty much doing anything like desktop support to network/internet firewall editing and full domain administration.

I know linux is one thing i NEED to learn, is there anything else I should do or maybe check out to assist in learning?

Thanks in adance.

Personally, I would concentrate on Linux first. Once you get past the basics, you can build all sorts of open-source security appliances--pretty much anything that's on the market. I suggest you work from the command line, which will teach you more about what's actually happening under the hood than a GUI.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, infosec can encompass about 10+ distinct areas. Do you know what you want to do in security? What in security attracts you? I'm asking this because I have people at work who tell me at least weekly "I want to get into security" and really don't have the slightest idea what that means.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, sysadmin > security is a totally reasonable transition depending on specialty. But, it's not really fast, easy or relaxing, so know what you're getting into. If you enjoy it and have passion for the field it can be great, but when I talk to some people about the real jobs they were more thinking about movie hacking scenes.
  • Options
    ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I jumped from sysadmin into security a few years ago. It was actually a pretty smooth transition for the most part. I got my Sec+ to reinforce some basic concepts and looked at how I could improve the security posture of the company I moved to. It was a pretty broad security role which gave me great exposure to the security space and how it supports the business. Definitely requires a willingness to learn a lot of new things, but it's exciting and very rewarding.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know linux is one thing i NEED to learn,

Learning Linux is a super broad statement. Sometimes all that is needed, is learn how to be a proficient linux user, sometimes someone needs to be a linux admin. Sometimes someone more or less, just needs to understand iptables and selinux. And sometimes.... knowing FreeBSD and jails is whats needed. . . .
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See what kind of tools and skillsets are asked for in security related job ads that catch your interest. Take advantage of all the things you have access to as a sysadmin and play with the security stuff until you can confidently talk about your experience with those tools in job interviews.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□

How about obtaining a security related certification to start? You are asking on TE after all.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux