CCNP R&S or Security+

Dale812Dale812 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm interested in expanding my knowledge in network security and i'm looking for some advice.

I'm working as a network engineer and currently hold the Network+ and CCNA, would you recommend going for the CCNP then the Security+ or dive straight into the Security+ without the extra knowledge of CCNP?

Thanks.

Comments

• McElhinneyMcElhinney Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dale812 wrote: »
    I'm interested in expanding my knowledge in network security and i'm looking for some advice.

I'm working as a network engineer and currently hold the Network+ and CCNA, would you recommend going for the CCNP then the Security+ or dive straight into the Security+ without the extra knowledge of CCNP?

Thanks.

If you are looking to follow the Cisco education path I would extremely consider going for the CCNA Security over the Security+ qualification.
    2017/2018 Certifications Gained: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec.
    2018/2019 Certification Goals: CCNA Cyber OPs.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNP is going to focus on networking, and also Cisco hardware obviously, whereas Security+ is vendor-neutral. I think CCNP is going to be MUCH more valuable to you than Security+. I would say if you really wanted to go the CompTIA route for security and stand out, then you should go for the CASP instead. Otherwise I say go for CCNP instead. That, of course, is my opinion based on value.

If you want to know about technical requirements for Security+, your A+, Net+, and CCNA are more than enough to understand the Security+. There is no way you need CCNP-level knowledge to crack Security+.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keeping a CCNP current and active is a much bigger responsibility than Security+.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As someone who has made a lifelong habit of spreading himself too thin, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is figure out what direction you want to go. If you want to work in infosec, don't waste time on CCNP. And if you want to work in networking, then focus solely on CCNP and go straight to CCIE after that. You don't want to get caught up in a pattern of obtaining lots of entry level certs, or taking 5 steps down one path, then backtracking to take 5 steps down another.

While there is something to be said for a breadth of knowledge, you will maximize your potential if you specialize and keep a narrow focus. There's a reason cardiac surgeons just work on hearts and brain surgeons just work on brains. You wouldn't want a guy cutting on your head to say, "Eh, I just do a little of this, a little of that...I worked on brains a few times a while back."
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S