passed CASP, somehow

dsp2267dsp2267 Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
Been planning to do CASP for about 8 months now, but work and life got in the away of prepping. So I kept pushing it back, month after month. Until the PV scheduler told me that the voucher I used to create my exam appointment had a limited lifetime. So I set up my final appointment for the last day the voucher code was valid. Procrastination is my superpower. ;)

I had bought the Abernathy book, but due to poor time management I only read chapter 1 before the exam. I did maybe 100 or 125 questions from the Pearson practice exam question bank, averaging about 85%. Fortunately, I had knocked out SY0-401 a couple of months earlier. I mainly used the Sec+ book by Prowse, and the Pearson practice exam questions.

Since I had no expectation of passing, and only there to see what was on the real exam, I was very relaxed during the test. The one PBQ that I know I whiffed on was a Linux command line thing, which is embarrassing since I have RHCSA. In my own defense, in my job of the last few years I haven't touched Linux at all, except for a Kali Linux demo here and there.

I'm guessing that passing was a 750 and I earned a 751. :)

So, recommendations:
- hit your Sec+ book & practice exams HARD before starting in on your CASP materials.
- make sure you understand the risk management calculations. don't just memorize the formulas, understand them.
- know your Windows and Linux command line.

Comments

• LSageeLSagee Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off....Congrats!
    Second, I think you did the right thing being fresh with the Sec+ content. Adding just a few concepts and slightly changing the way you look at the questions are key to making the transition from Sec+ to CASP successfully.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dsp2267 wrote: »
    The one PBQ that I know I whiffed on was a Linux command line thing, which is embarrassing since I have RHCSA.

Congrats on the pass!

I remember that question and it was the last PBQ question before multiple choice started for me. It totally caught me off-guard, which pre-occupied my mind the entire time. Talk about distracting.

Unfortunately, I allowed myself to be distracted by that question and it totally psyched me out. I am going to be retaking that exam soon and I am not going to allow anything to distract me like that. Thank you for posting your experience.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • NetVoIPEngNetVoIPEng Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed and it didnt help not getting all the sims which was just poor preparation. I got the linux command sim as well and havent been able to find the solution online. I am retaking the test and wanted to make sure I knew everything it needed before retaking. Was it just disabling the services it mentioned? Where we supposed to disable the services as well so they wouldnt start up on reboot? I dont remember what flavor of linux it was either.

On the network diagram in which you had a $75k budget, should the IPS be placed right behind the firewall? Were we supposed to use the Anti-virus, patch, and proxy server (it mentioned trying to control outbound web)? There was only two spots in the server farm.
  • NetVoIPEngNetVoIPEng Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NetVoIPEng wrote: »
    I failed and it didnt help not getting all the sims which was just poor preparation. I got the linux command sim as well and havent been able to find the solution online. I am retaking the test and wanted to make sure I knew everything it needed before retaking. Was it just disabling the services it mentioned? Where we supposed to disable the services as well so they wouldnt start up on reboot? I dont remember what flavor of linux it was either.

On the network diagram in which you had a $75k budget, should the IPS be placed right behind the firewall? Were we supposed to use the Anti-virus, patch, and proxy server (it mentioned trying to control outbound web)? There was only two spots in the server farm.

I meant stop services and then disable so they dont start on boot.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NetVoIPEng...I don't remember what was supposed to be done to the service. I do recall that it mentioned Red Hat, which is rather immaterial as the process shouldn't differ much between Debian and RH. In fact, it was that fact that they mentioned RH that threw me for a loop, as I am a Debian fan from way back. Had I just taken a deep breath and thought back to my Linux+ exam prep, I might have remembered it.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • novicenovice1novicenovice1 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First off, congratulations on your CASP! This question can be for anyone who wishes to respond. I have my Sec+ and am going for my CASP, but I need to understand what the CASP objectives are asking. How does one study for each objective when they are vague and there are multiple systems/applications/solutions in use? How does one "decipher" what the objectives are talking about? From my research, CASP is a big jump from SEC+. Thanks.