New Certification: CompTIA PenTest+

1235»

Comments

• meni0nmeni0n Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone else received an email from CompTIA? Got an email saying congrats on passing and to verify address but I didn't take anything except PenTest+ last week,
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    meni0n wrote: »
    Anyone else received an email from CompTIA? Got an email saying congrats on passing and to verify address but I didn't take anything except PenTest+ last week,

It's a new certificate for your CySA+ being mailed out. That's what it was for me when I logged in and checked.
  • K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't expect those until June. Cool!
  • ITSec14ITSec14 Member Posts: 398 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just took the beta tonight. Well...it was about as difficult as I expected. I’m not a pen tester and did not really do much to prepare for this exam, so naturally I do not think I even came close to passing. Those who do have experience probably have a pretty good shot at it. It was definitely a breath of fresh air to see CompTIA putting more effort into their exams. I can see this one becoming a well respected cert. Bravo CompTIA!
  • andreawebandreaweb Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I completed 2 days ago the exam, 110 questions. It was not impossible but the big area about mobile-wireless was quite complicated without experience. Also the first 6 questions 6 complicate simulation with similar remediation. It was complex exam for the number of questions and the area range very extended.
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the exam on 21APR. I did a little preparation by going over the objectives. Cybrary videos helped.

Quite a broad exam. Definitely the most difficult CompTIA exam that I have taken.

The exam was right on spot with the objectives.
    PowerShell, python, massive amount of nmap (which thankfully I have experience with), netcat, XSS, SQL injection.

If I do not pass (I feel 70% I won't, 30% I will) I will definitely be retaking this within 6 months of release. Great exam by CompTIA.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The breadth of this is what got me. Other companies like GIAC have separate tests for basic network pentesting, web, mobile apps, wireless, etc. There's a lot of specialization within pentesting and for good reason. Having not touched mobile pentesting, and not specializing in web app, I felt like the test was too broad for anyone to get a perfect score in all of the areas.

Of course since its' a CompTIA test, I'm guessing a passing score will end up between 750-800 or so. I didn't feel there were enough specialized questions to bring the score to failing if you have general experience pentesting, and maybe a focus in one or two of the areas.
  • packetphilterpacketphilter Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had 2nd thoughts and went to register on the 26th, but I was too late. I spent 6 months as a junior pentester and security auditor, so I got curious about whether I could pass. Oh well. Guess I'll never know.
  • NewbBrandonNewbBrandon Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have their results yet? Just really curious.
    You won't hear from them until this summer. Forget about it or you will go nuts checking around. Move on to your next cert.
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Emailed CompTIA about when the results will be sent out, they said around the time the official test comes out, July 31st.
  • SolsSols Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow ...thinking of this career path
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm giving this some thought. My manager wants me to learn white hat pen testing as a service to our clients. It looks interesting.....

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Scores sent out. Failed with a 721. Bummer
    Failed 730/750
  • NEODREAMNEODREAM Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just saw the email informing me to check the CertMetrics page and was pleasantly surprised to see a Pass. Woot woot.

Edit: Took it back in Feb.
    Goal: eJPT Mar. 2020 | GDAT May 2020 | eCPPT Dec. 2020
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I CAN HAZ PENTEST PLUZ!!!!

Score: 775/750
    Code: XR7PZD8NGL4Q1P5Z
    Verify at: Verify.Comptia.Org
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CPT+? I wonder if that's a typo.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Holding valid Security+ and PenTest+ certs is a CompTIA Network Vulnerability Assessment Professional (CVNP). Maybe CPT+ is the same thing as PenTest+.

Introducing CompTIA Stackable Certifications
    CompTIA Stackable Certifications: What’s Your Perfect Stack?