Cybersecurity vs Cyber Security

mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know the term "cybersecurity" is thrown around a lot.

This is a silly question but i noticed on LinkedIn and business cards that some people will have their job title as Cybersecurity Analyst or Cybersecurity Engineer, but others opt to put Cyber Security Analyst or Cyber Security Engineer. I've even seen it as CyberSecurity.

Was just wondering which one is correct? I assumed Cybersecurity is the accurate one but my TE spell check doesn't like that :)

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't even like the term but that's another rant entirely. I know people jam it all together, but then wouldn't it also be Networksecurity? Physicalsecurity?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    NIST, DoD, NSF, Gartner, etc. use ‘cybersecurity’. That’s good enough for me.

The Associated Press style manual says:

“cyber-, cyberspace is a term popularized by William Gibson in the novel “Neuromancer” to refer to the digital world of computer networks. It has spawned numerous words with cyber- prefixes, but try to avoid most of these coinages. When the combining form is used, follow the general rule for prefixes and do not use a hyphen: cyberattack, cyberbullying, cybercafe, cybersecurity.”

This is why it’s ‘cyberguypr’ and not ‘cyber guypr’ icon_smile.gif
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I still say Info Sec.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also still say Infosec.

Cyber means something you look for in IRC for a good time.

Cyber Security has the old connotation of military and/or nation-state involvement to me.

This is what is going to date me...

To OP's original question, is it e-mail or email? Honestly, it's not going to really matter.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    I still say Info Sec.
    Hah, me too! We used to just be "security" at my company until the departments grew and split up and now the whole larger group is security and risk and under that is IAM, BCP/DR, Compliance, cybersecurity / cyber security, etc. So they had to give us a new name, I still just go by infosec.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LonerVamp wrote: »
    Cyber means something you look for in IRC for a good time.

lol, pretty every time someones says cyber security I keep thinking how this was how it used to be used. Reason I stick with Info sec too.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is that the same as Information Security and Security Information?

Lol! :P
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Infosec here as well.

I just think of the old saying "Wanna cyber?" when it comes to people calling it cyber or cyber security. ;)

I guess it's like the older guys bitching about "The Cloud", so I try and not complain about it too much. I just don't like it. I guess I could be a cyber security cloud engineer. :D
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's funny, I thought a Cloud Engineer was another name for a weatherperson.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol thanks for all the responses

I didn't think it mattered much, but for those who actually have that in their HR/Company provided title, it might
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    So where does 'Datasecurity' fit into all of this??
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My company uses “Cyber Security” in my job title.

I’ve thought about asking them to change it to Cybersecurity. Not sure if it’s worth it, though.

I think some people think if it’s a noun, it should be two words.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    This thread is making me look like a smarta*ss, I corrected two people so far, and I shared my infinite wisdom by telling them what Cyberguypr said here "it's in the NIST/DoD/Gartner "... icon_lol.gif

cyberguypr wrote: »

“cyber-, cyberspace is a term popularized by William Gibson in the novel “Neuromancer” to refer to the digital world of computer networks. It has spawned numerous words with cyber- prefixes, but try to avoid most of these coinages. When the combining form is used, follow the general rule for prefixes and do not use a hyphen: cyberattack, cyberbullying, cybercafe, cybersecurity.”
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

I only know because I came accross another smartass who argued that “cybersecurity” was wrong and absolutely no one used it. She also said nobody requires two spaces after a period. Even after showing her the latest edition of the APA style guide she said it was wrong.

Anyway, I think I found my next useless trivia interview question.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »

This is why it’s ‘cyberguypr’ and not ‘cyber guypr’ icon_smile.gif

Don't help the government brainwash us!! *kidding of course this is a solid answer and will now back me up when I write cybersecurity*
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've always said InfoSec or Information Security but the typical layperson didn't know what that was when I responded to what I did, and I'd get a blank stare, asked what it is, or an "ah ok" (I'm not sure what that is but got it). So I started saying Cybersecurity and everyone is all "Oh that's really cool" and they know what it is.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Oh yes, great point from JoJoCal19. I also used to get the blank stare until I started using 'cyber'. Now people think I have a cool job.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea that is good point... Might start using "cybersecurity", it does sound a lot more exciting lol
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't care either way as long as it never morphs into a job title like "cybersolutions evangelist."
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I don't care either way as long as it never morphs into a job title like "cybersolutions evangelist."

What's wrong with that :lolicon_confused.gif

Cybersec+Evangelist.png
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • mnashemnashe Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol ^^^

Maybe that's the trick. If you're using it in a sentence, it's cybersecurity, but if you're referencing at as a job title, it's Cyber Security

so dumb and insignificant but it should be consistent
  • Sunday_Pro59Sunday_Pro59 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mnashe said:
    I know the term "cybersecurity" is thrown around a lot.

This is a silly question but i noticed on LinkedIn and business cards that some people will have their job title as Cybersecurity Analyst or Cybersecurity Engineer, but others opt to put Cyber Security Analyst or Cyber Security Engineer. I've even seen it as CyberSecurity.

Was just wondering which one is correct? I assumed Cybersecurity is the accurate one but my TE spell check doesn't like that :)
    I feel there's no difference. Maybe it's root is from the British and American English saga