Options

RHCSA Lab

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I need help in setting up a RHCSA lab

I literally have a Xeon Server with 32 gig of ram. I was thinking of the following.

Centos 7 on host machine
KVM running two instances of centos

One of the machines would have additional space to practice partitions etc.

How do I get the machines to communicate with each other? Do I have to assign a I.P for each machine? Or can I bridge or use NAT.

How did you set up lab? I need some inspiration.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    By default, the VMs minimally created should be in the 'default' network, which is 192.168.122.0/24, assuming you haven't used this network for your physical machine. Your physical machine would be a CentOS, running the KVM hypervisor to host the VMs. So all VMs should be able to communicate with each other. You'd still need to configure the firewall on each VM guest to allow specific traffic to pass through between them. Although, the physical host can communicate with the individual VMs directly due to the nature of the network configuration.
  • Options
    Sorry about the late reply, Do you happen to have a guide? I have the Jang book but the lab setup is so over the place. You would help me alot.

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Out of curiosity. Are you trying to ask us to remote into your server for and have us demonstrate how it's done for you?

How far did you go since you made your first post here? I actually have an entire project dedicated to Jang's lab setup hosted on GitHub. I was able to decipher the first two chapters and build the lab Jang proposed. Take it a small step at a time. Take note of what you do not understand, including the page number and paragraph (i.e. 2nd paragraph on pg. 14). You can always revisit it later at the end of the chapter. Don't forget his companion CD as Jang doesn't post his lab exercises in the book beyond Chapter 1. Post what you've done so far, and which page you got stuck on.
  • Options
    awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've sort of started down the same path. I bought an HP g7 with 2 4-core processors and 64GB of ram. Decided to do ESXi for the host as there are some other things I want to lab. Made it through Chp 2 of Jang's book before I bought the server and get what you mean about being all over the place. May be easiest to set up the Host with CentOS 7 as server + GUI. Don't worry about anything in KVM or how you will do client machines at this point. Making the host have additional roles installed can be considered "bloat" but it will make things easier as you play with features.
  • Options
    Hiddenknight life has given me some stress I haven't had a opportunity to really get hands on with anything. I struggled in the past with Jangs book getting the lab off the ground just found the initial few chapters bounced around to much in different directions. I have taken on board what you have said. I don't think I will end up going for the cert I just was keen to learn some Linux and red hat stuff has become a bit of a hobby / passion for myself. However I am a noob I have the Sander Van G videos on RHCSA.

I will try and build a virtual lab and will report back with my balls ups 😂😂😂😂

I was thinking in my head

Centos Host with KVM

Virtual network with bridge with a few nodes

That's the concept I have in my head getting it off the ground will be another story.

• Options
    Making some form of progress,

One Host Machine running KVM

Virtual network with 2 hosts

on main host I have setup VSFTP and Apache to host install files, Learned some stuff about configuring KVM through the cli

• Options
    vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm running Fedora 27 (will upgrade this week) and using KVM.
    Created three servers - client node, server node to host shares and directory node to host all other network services.
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • Options
    andrew_69andrew_69 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A lab??

I have a desktop PC with virtual box in it which I use for labbing.
  • Options
    Yes a lab.....

To learn how KVM works which is one of the objectives.