failed the 70-412

majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Scored: 602, I swear i hate these microsoft exams, every single time i failed them at least once after studying for months. I guess its back to studying. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone got any recommendations on best book for passing this course. Currently using the exam reference and MCSA complete sutdy guide by william panek.

Weakest areas: Configuring the active directory infrastructure , and Identity and access solutions

Comments

• poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the 412 I used that book and found it to be a bit of a joke.

I used the Mastering Windows Server 2012 book to cover some of my weaker areas and used a whole boat load of Technets to help me work my way through the material.

AD section is going to focus hard on trusts and constrained delegation. Understand your trust directions. With constrained delegation know how to set it up for websites, that is the most common example I've seen in all my study guides.

For Identity focus mostly on Certificate Services and ADFS. Know how to setup certificate services, read up on Certutil, and know what is configured on the different tabs for a certificate template. For AD FS, know when to uses WAP, read up on Work folders, read up on Workplace Join, know the difference between a relying party and a claims provider and the way the trusts for ADFS go.

Good luck. Hit me up if you run into any road blocks, I still have a lot of my old notes.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • majorpaynemajorpayne Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i passed the second time. thanks for the information. Technet was the reason i succeeded .
  • StuHKRStuHKR Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    poolmanjim wrote: »
    For the 412 I used that book and found it to be a bit of a joke.

I've not been too impressed with the new, thinner MS Press books since W2K12. They're not particularly cheap and I find them very light on detail and just refer you to technet articles most of the time.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    StuHKR wrote: »
    I've not been too impressed with the new, thinner MS Press books since W2K12. They're not particularly cheap and I find them very light on detail and just refer you to technet articles most of the time.

Its partly because MS has decided to mass market their training. In the past there was careful development of the book with experienced engineers writing the bulk of the books and a tech writer doing a lot of the proofing and what not. Now, they have guys who haven't done anything other than write books for 15 years doing the bulk of the writing and a team of "experts" reviewing it for accuracy.

In addition, the book writers never actually see the test content. Sometimes they don't even know the exam objectives yet so they kind of have to guess themselves. The whole thing adds up to an equation of failure for the MS Press.

You'll need to dive deep into Technet (Microsoft Docs) and perhaps pick up 1 or 2 other books to stand a chance.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Ugly-051Ugly-051 Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I failed it the first time, not any easy exam to say the least. Make note of the areas you’re weak on and then retry some time later. I personally used the Mastering Windows Server 2012 (big 1k+ page book) and a number of YT videos and plenty of docs.ms/Technet articles with home labs.

BTW 602 is nearly a pass so don’t be too hard on yourself…
  • drakerdraker Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed the 412 yesterday. Very defeating....

Even worse... I failed with a 680 with 47 questions. I was literally 1 away from a pass.
    Break time..!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I failed this one the first time too, just shy of 700 so literally one question. I wonder what their pass rate is.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote: »
    I failed this one the first time too, just shy of 700 so literally one question. I wonder what their pass rate is.

I failed this one about an hour ago... for the second time.. with a 680 again. Consistent, but not in a good way. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

This one is really tough.
    Break time..!
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bummer...I guess you can be grateful that they are only $165 tests instead of $400+
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    shochan wrote: »
    bummer...I guess you can be grateful that they are only $165 tests instead of $400+

They are 50% off if you fail enough times. icon_lol.gif

They do discounts if you've taken cert tests within a certain period of time. 6 months or so? I guess they don't care if you pass or not, cause it gave me the discount twice. 25% off the first, 50% on the retake, and I just registered to take it again in 2 weeks, 50% off that one as well.

Still... very defeating given how much I've been studying. I'm sure many of you can relate.

Back to the books! Looking forward to posting my success at some point.
    Break time..!
    Yeah, the 410 & 411 are very tough(from what I read)...so, don't feel too defeated...Just know the material till you are so sick of it, and when it's repetitive to your mind, then take the exam...Not sure how to explain it, but whenever you read it enough times...well, you know it...I am sure if there were various online labs of configuring MS server that you can tackle also would help too. Good luck!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Passed it this week.. 3rd times a charm. I was definitely sick of the material.
    Break time..!
    WOOHOO! good job!