Knowledge gaps

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm beginning to hit some walls in regards to data engineering /management.

It seems a lot of the new database solutions are requiring a lot more insights than previous, at least from my experiences.

Couple of challenges I am facing.

Linux or lack there of.
Object Oriented Development, Java mainly.
System administration.

Not all of these require an expert level of knowledge but to really take it to the next level there is a mountain of skills to learn....

Just curious how did you get past these hurdles while trying to get into more advance or "different" roles.

My objective is to work with real time data and in order to handle that, I'll have to learn database technologies like MongoDB or Cassandra. Structured but without schema's just for starters......

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lots of labbing, and almost always project-based to keep it interesting. I've found that this is fairly easy to do regarding a programming language (pick a thing to create, pick a DB, and code away).

I find this approach doesn't really work to learn Linux though. I still don't know the best approach for that. I've heard installing Slackware Linux is a great learning experience -- it's one of the few distros that does not do automatic dependency resolving, so you really learn the details of how things work as you go through its installation.

What about picking up a Raspberry Pi and repurposing it into a MongoDB web server? Something not too expensive but kind of fun to keep it interesting.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Linuxacademy is pretty good for linux if you don’t kind paying the subscription.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the follow ups.

That LinuxAcademy looks fantastic.....
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    it is pretty cool. We had it free for 3 months at work because of our MSDN subscription.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @SoT

If you are looking to take it to the next level and are intimidated by the certification process or just the more advance subject matter, this looks like a great opportunity to gain skills to move upward.

Thanks for the feedback good to know.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Yes it is.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I find this approach doesn't really work to learn Linux though. I still don't know the best approach for that.

The same approach works for Linux. Make some goals for what you're looking to accomplish, build a couple VMs, and start pounding away on them. A ton of great step by step guides for just about anything you're doing are just a Google search away. Build it, then tear it down and build it again.

If you need some guidance on exactly what to do, try this. Or perhaps build a few a VMs running services you need for other things in your lab (DNS server, FTP server, etc).
  • kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Linux academy is always good. Personally, I'm starting to hit a wall with my skills. Wonder if I need to start a personal blog, or blog on linkedin or Medium on projects or industry related stuff.