Certification in Technical Side of Cyber-Security - Advice Needed

calleviejacallevieja Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Evening,

So recently I was advised by a friend to pursue the CISSP. However, after reading up on it, I see it's more of a certification for a manager or head of department, like being the boss of a team etc.

I have been working as a Network Admin and Systems Admin for 16+ years and now want to get more in to cyber-security.

I want to get my hands dirty and not just sit at a desk telling my team to do this that and the other.

I have no certifications in anything, but would like to get certified in something that is cyber-security related.

The cyber-security area is very new to me, I do not know what certifications are more recognized by companies these days.

I was considering the CompTIA Security+ as this looks a long the lines of getting technical, but I am not sure, what other options are available?

Is someone able to give me an idea as to what certifications I should pursue? As said previously I want to get my hands dirty in the technical side of cyber-security.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Comments

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    callevieja wrote: »
    So recently I was advised by a friend to pursue the CISSP. However, after reading up on it, I see it's more of a certification for a manager or head of department, like being the boss of a team etc.

Basically your correct, it's more of a management type of certification, but it has no peers when it comes to industry recognition, just having your CISSP will get you attention from employers who wouldn't look twice at you otherwise. And, no you don't need to be in management to have your CISSP, it's a very valuable certification. Some of the other security certifications are getting gaining industry attention too, GIAC, OSCP, but before I got into security, I knew what a CISSP was, I never heard of the others.

However, I believe you need to obtain some so basic certifications first, before attempting to tackle the CISSP. If your have years experience in Computer Security and just never got around to getting your CISSP, I'd say go for it, but if you fairly new to Computer security, the CISSP shouldn't be the first certification you should be pursuing, I'd start out with a Security+, and build from there.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's because you were technical for 16+ years, therefore, you perceive it as managerial. It's just both and it's typical for managers who aren't technical to struggle with the technicality of the exam.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also, what do you actually want to do in security? It's a wide field, just saying "cyber security" doesn't mean a lot in direction.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was considering the CompTIA Security+ as this looks a long the lines of getting technical, but I am not sure, what other options are available?

Sec+ is a multiple choice entry level security cert... Technical would down the list on words I would use to describe it. I would think 16 years as a sys admin and network admin should be able to handle it with minimal studying. (guess it depends on what admin actually meant in those positions though)

Almost every company hiring for security position likes to see CISSP. Just the way the industry is. Even when the cert doesn't help that much for that position.

If you want a more technical cert you probably are going to have choose which area you want to focus on. Firewalls... Pentesting... Forensics... etc...
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even if I have my CISSP, I still consider the Cysa+ as a good cert to pursue.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even if I have my CISSP, I still consider the Cysa+ as a good cert to pursue.

Yea, I think that is one of the better Comptia exams. I failed the beta and haven't retaken it, but you really have to understand technical aspects of the material and how to use them to pass that test.
  • calleviejacallevieja Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for the input, I really appreciate it.

Gives me a lot to think about and what area of cyber-security I will eventually land in.

For starters, ill pursue the Security+ for now, I know it should be an easy exam for me. I do the practice in taking certification exams (since I have never done one).

Kind Regards,
    Kevin
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been in cyber security about 3 years. I'm taking the CISSP next year and have no plans to enter a management role just yet.
    . . . So recently I was advised by a friend to pursue the CISSP. However, after reading up on it, I see it's more of a certification for a manager or head of department, like being the boss of a team etc. . . .

From what I understand, there is learning value in studying for the CISSP that would greatly benefit security managers. However, I see many job ads out there asking for a CISSP for technical roles. So the CISSP has a large value as an HR filter/check box as well.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP