ISDN

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, I am new to ISDN in every way.

I am looking for actual pictures of the ISDN conncetions, I want to assume it's a regualr old rj45, but they have me scared from making that assumption with all this NT1, NT2 and TA stuff.

Secondly, how did all of you who have passed get the experience setting up ISDN and troubleshooting. Doesn't seem to be any way I can actually play with ISDN.

Even the local community college does not have a BRI connection to play with. (I am considering taking the 3rd and 4th academies there) According to their instructor, they just want you to memorize it...
-Daniel

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't have to put that much time and effort into ISDN, beyond knowing the reference points and what the specs are for a BRI and PRI connection. You won't be asked to configure a ISDN connection on the CCNA exam, but there are still questions about the technology. You WILL be asked to set up point to point connections (which require you to set the clock rate) and you'll also be asked to set up hub/spoke style frame relay as well. I'd spend more of your time on frame than ISDN.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    While for the most part I agree with Paul - but you should know how to do a simple ISDN config - it still is on the blueprint and it would be in your best interest to know how to configure a router for basic ISDN call setup.

It would stink that you didn't pass the CCNA because one SIM did you in - so don't go indepth with ISDN - but make sure you have the basics to get you by the test.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    just try and remember the reference points and the equipment names (TE1, TE2, TA) Its not very heavily tested
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net