Network+ or CCNA in my situation....

SkepSkep Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I’m looking to do a network qualification to expand on my networking knowledge, so am looking at Network+ or CCNA. I understand the differences between the two, and that CCNA is more highly regarded.

My situation is that I am a junior member of an infrastructure IT team, and our infrastructure is mostly HP. Is it worth doing CCNA and learning Cisco CLI etc if the environment I work in doesn’t use Cisco products.

My original plan was to do Network+ and then HP’s network course that covers Procurve and Commware switches, as that would suit my job roll well, and have worked on HP infrastructure for a couple of years (never touched Cisco).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sure, I think it's worth it. The Cisco IOS is only a part of the material which covers all other aspects of networking. Plus, any job you take in the future.. your employer will know what a CCNA is.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Goteki54Goteki54 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skep wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m looking to do a network qualification to expand on my networking knowledge, so am looking at Network+ or CCNA. I understand the differences between the two, and that CCNA is more highly regarded.

My situation is that I am a junior member of an infrastructure IT team, and our infrastructure is mostly HP. Is it worth doing CCNA and learning Cisco CLI etc if the environment I work in doesn’t use Cisco products.

My original plan was to do Network+ and then HP’s network course that covers Procurve and Commware switches, as that would suit my job roll well, and have worked on HP infrastructure for a couple of years (never touched Cisco).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I would go CCENT or Network+ and then go CCNA but not CCENT and Network+ due to the overlap. Network+ and CCENT are good certs for fundamentals of networking and to springboard off of.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, Security +., SSCP
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat, CCNA or Network+. I've always wanted to be N+ certified so minus well get both.
  • duta74duta74 Member Posts: 143 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want to stay at your job and move on forward, follow to your original plan: go to Network+ and after that go to HP specified courses.
    AT this moment I'll recommend to take this course:
    https://www.udemy.com/hp-atp-hp0-y49-and-hp2-z30-exams-downloadable-videos-more/
    It is just 10$ now. David Bombal is a on of the best network trainer on Udemy.
    First chapter covers most of objectives of Network+ and rest chapters specify for HP network equipment.

For preparing to Network+ exam I also recommend to buy this bundle:

CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Test
    CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Cert Guide Premium Edition and Practice Test | Pearson IT Certification

CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Hands-on Lab Simulator
    CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Hands-on Lab Simulator | Pearson IT Certification

You can get them for 64.98$ using discount code BUY2 at checkout.

You will receive:
    e-book, practice test(software for local install and also online variant), very good simulator, Performance-Based Exercises and 10% discount for Network+ voucher.

You also receive 30 day unlimited access to safaribooksonline and you can look this video course from Kevin Wallace:
    https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/comptia-network-n10-007/9780134848167/

Good luck...
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Basic85 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, CCNA or Network+. I've always wanted to be N+ certified so minus well get both.

I guess if it is personal goal you can get both, but career wise and ROI wise it wouldn't make sense imo.

I'd go straight to CCNA everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. I personally wish I wouldn't have wasted my time/money on the Net+ and just went for the CCNA.
  • victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pass on Network+. Get your CCENT and then move on to CCNA R&S and JNCIA-Junos (courtesy of Juniper Open Learning).
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)