Thoughts on a slight Dilemma (Renew or not Renew)

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Any feedback would help -

So here we go,

Studying to finish CISSP - I aim to sit for it in July. I am pretty prepared now, but "due-dilligence," and "due-care" right?
Back in my "going down the Network Engineering path" days, I obtained the CCNP, however, it will expire in Jan of 2019 if I do not renew it.

It doesn't greatly benefit me in my current position (Security Architect) long story short, in the end, its about ROI and Time availability.

After CISSP, I was planning on going through the OSCP (I need something fun and challenging to do) then back to CCSP for Cloud, then potentially CRISC -- I have moved over heavily into Compliance, Road Mapping, and Security Program Creation and Development, and I don't necessarily do operation level work anymore. I focus mostly on policy creation, mapping to control requirements, establishing metrics and procedures, audit, and Program Development and Governance.

CCNP is really kind of out the way -- but it feels like a waste to let it expire -- I could go CCDA-CCDP and renew it between July 2018 - Jan 2019 --- I could get some value out of the refresh and using the design knowledge (I am assuming) to assess and recommend networking boundaries,controls, route mapping, etc. But there are some proprietary limitations in that as well.

I am about 51/49 leaning Security path only. Would seem like a waste to let it lapse tho, all that time and equipment (that i no longer have lol)

The only downer is I have to push back OSCP which I have been looking forward to tackling for almost 16 months now ---

Ultimately its up to me, but wondering what the choir has to say about which one is most efficient

Comments

• Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just my 2 cents as somebody who knows a few CCNPs and a CCIE :

A lot of them tell me that their goal is to stay current by touching the equipment and doing configurations / troubleshooting / optimizing QoS. Keeping a cert, just to keep it, would be a big waste especially since it is a CCNP which is pretty common amongst qualified candidates.

The only case where they elect to keep renewing their certs, is when they reach CCIE/CCAr level where you are basically at the top of the pyramid.

With the path you are picking, I don't believe a CCNP would make a difference for your profile / paycheck so Security might be the way to go.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You only need to pass one professional level test to renew your CCNP. You could just take ROUTE, SWITCH or TSHOOT and, as long as you passed, your CCNP would be renewed for another 3 years.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I would renew it. To renew your CCNP it would only take one exam, and TSHOOT is the easiest test in the world (assuming you have some practice on hands-on stuff).

It might not seem to be a good idea right now, but you may regret it in the future, as when certs expire you have to take all exams once again (route and switch are not that easy to tackle).
  • matt18ematt18e Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation, but my CCNP R/S doesn't expire until September 2019. I think I'll probably take the TSHOOT exam again some time early next year, as that will refresh my CCNP R/S and my CCNA Sec, even though I don't do any hand on networking in my current position. I'd recommend refreshing it if you have the time.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    I would renew it. To renew your CCNP it would only take one exam, and TSHOOT is the easiest test in the world (assuming you have some practice on hands-on stuff).

It might not seem to be a good idea right now, but you may regret it in the future, as when certs expire you have to take all exams once again (route and switch are not that easy to tackle).

I agree. It's fairly easy to keep current, but if you have retake all these exams again in the future, it's neither easy or cheap.
    Azt7 wrote: »
    With the path you are picking, I don't believe a CCNP would make a difference for your profile / paycheck so Security might be the way to go.

Where I work in IT Security, we are responsible for both Security AND the network. Recently we turn down a candidate for a position that had lots of Cyber experience, but no network knowledge/experience. While in some organizations your CCNP is of no importance, in others it's worth it weight in gold. Few positions are life long anymore, chances are sooner or later you'll change employers, regardless if you want to or not.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @TechGromit, Yes looking at other responses I can see how my vision was somewhat narrow.

I'm more thinking in terms of efforts vs results. With all those future certs, I didn't necessarily see how the CCNP would affect his paycheck / overall profile. At the same time, @Chitownjedi might have enough time since January is the deadline icon_lol.gif

I didn't account for his possible involvement in Networks ops. I was thinking he would just be limited to the descrbed tasks he has now.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I earned my CCNP back in 2001 and I allowed it to expire in 2004 because I wasn't using it. Here I am 17 years later wishing I would have taken the time to renew it. It isn't that hard, just one exam every 3 years. You may not see a need for it now, but you never know how things may change in the future.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you've already poured time / resources into it, why not just sit TSHOOT (which is the most hands-on of the bunch) to renew it? You could use a udemy course (Chris Bryant's CCNP All-in-One) + Boson's ExSim for TSHOOT as exam preparation & review. Who knows when / if you may need to brush up on those skills. Shame to let them go to waste if you'd ask me.
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    These are all very valid. The TSHOOT would be the most efficient way -- And one thing I am expertly aware of is how things can change drastically in a few years, as I would have not expected to be in Security at all 4 years ago. No reason to relinquish ammo from the sling shot. Still got a lot to accomplish.

Good feedback. Will digest some more and map out what my plan would look like taking this route. Really appreciate it guys!
  • negru_tudornegru_tudor Member Posts: 473 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These are all very valid. The TSHOOT would be the most efficient way -- And one thing I am expertly aware of is how things can change drastically in a few years, as I would have not expected to be in Security at all 4 years ago. No reason to relinquish ammo from the sling shot. Still got a lot to accomplish.

Good feedback. Will digest some more and map out what my plan would look like taking this route. Really appreciate it guys!

Good luck & soldier on!
    2017-2018 goals:
    [X] CIPTV2 300-075
    [ ] SIP School SSCA
    [X] CCNP Switch 300-115 [X] CCNP Route 300-101 [X] CCNP Tshoot 300-135
    [ ] LPIC1-101 [ ] LPIC1-102 (wishful thinking)
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I let my CCNP Security expire a year ago and no regrets (yet). Moved on to (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, and EC-Council which are more valuable where I am plus I rarely touch Cisco equipment anymore. I jump on the Sourcefire NIDS from time to time, but not enough to attempt maintaining the certification. I got what I needed from my Cisco certs though so I'm ok with my decision.

If you no longer have use for a cert I vote to let it go. Just my $0.02.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I agree with E Double U for the most part on letting useless certs go but, the CCNP is the one I would say to keep since all you have to do is take 1 exam every 3 years. Plus knowledge of networks is important in security. My lack of deep network knowledge has been a thorn in my side my whole career. I say take 1 month to pound out the TSHOOT and be done with it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't let recreational pursuit of OSCP interfere.