CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• rihangrihang Registered Users Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi deeone - I sat for the CIPP/E beta exam on 28 April, and got my results on 17 May. Unfortunately, I didn't clear with a score of 295. The email said 300 is required to pass. I did write back to them immediately asking for a breakup of how did I do across different domains, but haven't heard back since. They otherwise usually reply within a day.
    Did you get your result yet?
  • Sunshine0101Sunshine0101 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Soltiske,

Please don't forget about we stressed out folks who haven't taken the exam yet. Would love your 50 page outline No worries about typos. Thank you for offering!
  • rihangrihang Registered Users Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Overall score of 295 with 67/63/75. Bummer. IAPP folks say I probably missed out by one or two wrong answers in domain 2.
  • palmtrees2018palmtrees2018 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone! Do you have any advice for passing the CIPP/US? Thank you!
  • soltiskesoltiske Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Absolutely, sorry it got away from me with the GDPR preparedness last week! I'll make it accessible this evening.
    Here's a dropbox link to my 50 page outline! Please ignore the really silly typos I found while I was studying: I wanted to get this out to you all sooner rather than later. https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9z288rgb4q17iw/CIPP%20E%20Outline.docx?dl=0

This is my first time trying to share a document publicly on DropBox, so please let me know if it worked (or alternatively if I shared more than just the CIPP/E outline document)!

Just something to keep in mind, even with two outlines available on this thread, a lot of the studying benefit comes from making the outline rather than reading it over. If you're going to use mine or the other outline to study, I recommend at least printing it off and making your own notes on it/engaging with it, if not using it to create your own even smaller, more condensed outline from the ones available.
    Also note there are some shortcuts in the outline that should be self-explanatory, but just in case: C=Controller, P=Processor, DS=Data Subject, DP=Data Protection, and PD=Personal Data. If there are others I included that are not self-explanatory, please ask.
  • gusainkamlesh2@gmail.comgusainkamlesh2@gmail.com Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Three domain are:

I. Introduction to European Data Protection - Max Marks 10 - Min required to clear is 4.
    II. European Data Protection Law and Regulation - Max Marks 66 - Min required to clear is 40.

III. Compliance with European Data Protection Law and Regulation - Max Marks 25 - Min required to clear is 12.

Please correct me if am not wrong.

Reference: Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) - Study Guide. Effective October 2017
  • Trex912Trex912 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    First of all, thank you to the two people that posted their outline here. I'm currently working on one as well. I already failed the test once with a score of 250 and the percentages 50/61/58. I read somewhere that you need a score of 295 to pass the exam, but I also read, that you get ONE point per correct answer. Which would make the maximum of points 90.
    Can somebody explain it to me?
    While studying for my second try I also realized, that you can easily find out what the main aspect is by looking at how many questions each topics have (according to the body of knowledge), I probably went into the first try a little too innocent and unprepared. I also had a huge problem because I'm not native english and the four possible answers are sometimes very close to each other and has only a small difference in the wording.
  • TAckhouse1TAckhouse1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum, your advice and insight definitely helped me with my preparation. I passed with a 25%/74%/82% (not sure "how close" I was, but very happy I passed)

Special shout out to lizette1121622, her comprehensive 91 page outline really helped me ensure my comprehension of all of the material.

I also found this study guide highly valuable: https://jasperhammink.com/CIPP_E/CIPP_E.html#mozTocId844347

I probably spent in the range of 60ish hours, reading the book, going through the official IAPP web lectures (which had some value but probably not worth the $1000 they are charging), reviewing the above outlines and making flash cards.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • Iggy1015Iggy1015 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Wanted to say that I reviewed tips on this forum for my CIPP/E training and am pleased to say I passed today on the first attempt (85/89/66). I will also post my methodology for those who may be curious. Quick background, I had no prior knowledge of GDPR or data protection really other than in the context of information security (I am an information security consultant):

1. My company sponsored this training so footed the bill for the training modules. While I did find these useful because of the interactive nature and quizzes at the end, they are definitely not required or needed to pass. And with how much they cost, I’d imagine most people don’t purchase.

2. The textbook follows the same body of knowledge as the trainings so I would spend the majority of the time studying this. Even with the courses, I read the textbook thoroughly once making highlights and notes. I then read back my highlighted parts and skimmed others.

3. I would spend the majority of the time studying topics in domain 2 as there are more questions on these topics.

4. There were a couple questions that seems that there could be 2 correct answers so using the process of elimination is helpful.

5. The scenarios are long and the questions require a great attention to detail. If you miss a small detail then another answer may look just as correct as the real answer.

6. I did the sample test twice. Questions are similar format as the test so these are worth purchasing. They are easier though as others have mentioned.

7. I began studying end of April for the test and studied after work and some on the weekends. I would say I spent 40-45 hours studying.

8. I made flash cards and quizzed myself at least daily even if I couldn’t devote time to the trainings.
  • cariocacarioca Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did the test today and have failed with 75/63/66. I must say that I underestimated the exam - my studies have been substantially based on the online course, which is rather superficial than the exam itself. The sample questions are easier as well. Maybe the best way to study is fosing on the textbook...
  • DanteMadDanteMad Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for the advice and the resources shared on this thread!

One thing I am struggling to find is more examples of "exam level" questions. From past certifications I have learned that these are quite an important part of the preparation for the exam. However, all I have managed to find is the IAPP sample questions (that everyone here consider "too easy"). In any case, these are "only" 30 and I feel I need more practice.

Does anyone have other sample questions that can be accessed for free?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Iván.
  • shanefergusonshaneferguson Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]First time passer at 75/87/73. OK, so I am out of the exam about 2 hours now, and sitting down having a pint. I only looked at this forum for the first time yesterday and some of the reactions to the exam were a bit unnerving. So I felt compelled to throw in my 2 cent to try and balance any nervous exam takers out there.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, my background, working in a privacy type compliance role 9 years ago, so had some idea of the basics of DPD and Irish law. I have been in IT Audit since, currently at Senior Manager level and I am a CISA, CRISC and earlier in the year, became an IAPP CIPT.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Having completed CIPT, I had some understanding that the IAPP exams are well constructed in testing your knowledge, and not your memory.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Everyone has their own way of studying, but for what it is worth:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Done circa 60 hours part time study, but every single day done at least an hour to drive consistency.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is my prep:[/FONT]
    1. Read the IAPP Text Book;
    2. Read it again, and produced 470 flashcards against every area of the book;
    3. Transposed those flashcards to paper. Basically, one page per chapter to 18 A4 pages that summarised the entire book.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This approach drove repetition and understanding of the breath of areas in the book. I can unequivocally say that this was the primary reason I was successful.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I didn’t do the training, it was all self learning. The official text book, a copy of the text and the exam blueprint are essential.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also read the following books: [/FONT]
    1. Determann's Field Guide to Data Privacy Law;
    2. IAPP’s DPO Handbook: Data Protection Officers Under the GDPR;
    3. IAPP’s Hands-On Guide to GDPR Compliance.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 & 3 good for beginners or from scratch, but not essential. Determann’s Field Guide is great though for putting context around the text.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For domain 1, YouTube on EU Institutions, a lot of great videos out there that nail that. Domain 2, book, book, book. Domain 3, bit more techy and some experience helps but again, book, book, book.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I didn’t memorise the GDPR Text, I was familiar with it, but if you have any operational experience (as in, getting things done) or measure of common sense, read it and get the understanding or reference in parallel with the official IAPP book.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You need to know what GDPR is about, what the principles, rights etc are about. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]During Exam:[/FONT]
    1. Take deep breaths, do meditation (headspace or the like) before you exam to focus the mind. It’s all about controlling your nerves and emotions;
    2. Take each question at a time, even if you are not sure on a questions, flag and move on. I went down to the wire having flagged 55 out of 90. And I reckon that only 30 of them I had actual doubts over;
    3. If you do end up being unsure, go with your gut instinct, you don’t have time to dwell, trust the work you have put in;
    4. Sample test questions are easier because you get the explanations and see them more than once, but they are not a million miles away from the real thing. The only difference is you need to have done the prep as you are on you own in there (So, prep, prep, prep or as Roy Keane says - Fail to prepare, prepare to fail);
    5. Scenario questions take focus. Read them carefully, the majority will be common sense. There will be a couple that are challenging, but deep breaths and read them!;
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]That’s what I have to say about it. The key thing is, it’s not an exam that you can wing. It’s well constructed and it challenges your knowledge as I said, not your memory. If you have a passion for the area, which I do, you will be fine.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The very best of luck to everyone taking this, or any other exam coming up. Any self-improvement is testament to each of ye as individuals.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Shane[/FONT]
  • SarumanOfManyColoursSarumanOfManyColours Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sat for the CIPP/E Beta exam on April 26, and received passing results (67/81/75) on May 17. Scaled score of 340. Self-study, using the IAPP textbook and numerous free online webinars (both IAPP and others.) I have a legal background, and have worked in IT audit and compliance for the past year.
  • maniac76maniac76 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got great help from this thread and want to leave a record.
    My background is software security assessment and I have CISSP and CEH.
    Self-study with IAPP textbook only. Haven't gone through even GDPR text. Just book book book.
    I'm Korean, so
    allowed to bring a dictionary as non-native English speaker.
    Passed at first trial today though I didn't have time for review.

Domain 1: 62%

Domain 2: 80%
    Domain 3: 91%

I can say IAPP text book would be enough assuming that you understand it.
  • BmorebmoreBmorebmore Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All-
    Thanks for the all the great info!

I took the CIPP/US 2 years ago and failed the first time 😔 luckily, I found out at the test site and then sat in my car writing down every question and answers I could remember. The problem I had with the my first attempt was lack of practice problems. I have realized these standardized tests regurgitate the same or similar questions for new exams. Long story short: I used my memory of the questions/answers and created my own practice test, and I passed the next time! While specific fact patterns differed slightly, the overall feel for each question and answer were very similar to my first test.

My question is: does anyone have good practice tests? Does anyone who took the exam recall any specific questions? I figure if so we could start combining everyone’s recollection of questions to create our own mock/practice test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!
    I once pose in here what I had written down, buy that post was blocked because it is against the rules of this forum apparently
    I'm very sorry for my last entry here, I think my keyboard is broken.
    So yes, to "Bmorebmore", I posted everything I remembered from the exam in here a couple of weeks ago and I got a message that this is against the rules of this forum.
  • carmaromcarmarom Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Lizette,

I'm due to take my CIPP/E exam later this autumn and i was wondering if you might share your 98 page summary with me.

Really appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Romulus
  • PrivacynewbiePrivacynewbie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This has been post earlier in this thread with a dropbox link.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Those whole thread looks like a massive wall of spam. posts by random users with one post only

What's the deal?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• PrivacynewbiePrivacynewbie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone, I am reading along with your helpful posts. Today, I took the exam and sadly I failed with 75/63/75 icon_sad.gif
    I have a legal background but I am completely new in the privacy field. Also I am not a native English speaker.
    about the test: what shaneferguson in this thread wrote is right. I think the book is enough to pass though (but who am I to say) and I read the GDPR text first in my native language, it is very descriptive.
    There were 5 long scenarios with each about 4 questions, about processing, exercise rights, encryption and data leak, CCTV, health data, cookie consent, direct marketing, SNS, competent DPA, draft decision DPA's, legislative power. I think I failed b/c I do not know how to apply the GDPR to the scenarios. Also there is some lack of knowledge on some subjects tbh. Some questions were very short and easy and others were very difficult and made me doubt each word used.
  • lexitlexit Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Did anyone take a training course from CIPP/E? It's 2000€, do you think it's worth it? I read here that knowing the handbook inside out is enough, but would like to hear some more insights. I am thinking of taking an exam in Autumn and hesitating about purchasing a course.
  • pae79pae79 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    Would someone be willing to share the CIPP-US outline that was mentioned in a few of the posts?
    Thank you!
  • LAWYER2LAWYER2 Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This has been post earlier in this thread with a dropbox link.

Most likely because users are generally only concerned with this one particular exam. Once they pass, it's unlikely they'll be back. Myself included. I'm an attorney, this is the only tech cert I'll ever need.
  • Gar_kGar_k Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just come out from CIPP/e exam. It was my second sitting and I put a lot of hours into the study. Im devastated to have failed.
    Domain 1: 50%
    Domain 2: 67%
    Domain 3: 75%
    Scaled score 280
    Maybe its just not for me.
  • ReidReid Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I'm looking to sit the exam next year - out of interest, and is the $250 membership an annual fee or one-off?
    And also out of interest, do you guys/girls pay your fees personally or do you employers sponsor you?

Cheers
  • CampbellCampbell Registered Users Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

thank you for sharing your experiences. I registered for an exam in early September. My preparation consists of studying the book and GDPR itself. That seems to be going pretty well, but it is a lot of work. You would expect more information to be found online.

Did you notice that the examination blueprint does not fully correspond to the chapters in the book? The chapter 'outsourcing' is not on the blueprint and part K of the blueprint does not appear in the book.
    Reid wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to sit the exam next year - out of interest, and is the $250 membership an annual fee or one-off?
    And also out of interest, do you guys/girls pay your fees personally or do you employers sponsor you?

Cheers

I do not think you should necessarily become a member, but in that case you pay $ 125 a year as a maintenance fee.
  • clievano3clievano3 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

I probably necrod the thread, but is there any way someone can provide me with Schiphol's CIPP/US outline? I would appreciate it!