Advice for Security Certification-Moving to Canada!!

AakashNTAakashNT Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Guys,

I am migrating to Canada in few months from now and want to sharpen my skills/certs according to the Security Market of Canada before reaching there.

I have CISSP,CEHv7,Forcepoint DLP and few expired certs like CCNA.

I have experience in Security domain for almost 5 years (all of my experience in security)

Have worked on Firewalls/UTMs/IDS/IPS, Vulnerability Management Tools,Endpoint manager etc.. and currently in forensics..starting with EnCase/Nuix etc.. still in primary hands-on.. can't say experienced.

Now, I will be hunting for jobs in Canada..so if anyone from Canada/know anything about market there.. what are the best certs to go for.. because I heard Canadian market needs some mandatory like certs..like CompTIA etc. .even though I have CISSP.

I am opening some options.. Please suggest.. I can do only couple of them.

CISA- for Audit domain-although I don't have much exp. in that

CompTIA CySA+- for SOC and Cyber Security/Incident response teams- I have working knowledge on that
(Don't have a big pocket for SANS/GIAC icon_sad.gif)

ISC2-CCSP or CompTIA Cloud+ - for ever demanding Cloud domain- don't have hands-on exp. in that

ISO27001- ?? if any org like to have a person with ISO27001 LA in Canada?

EC-Council CHFI or ECIH or ECSA- as I already have CEH expiring next year-2019.

EnCase ENCE: for Encase-forensics-still learning and I guess a tougher one..so not sure on that?!!?

Any Cert related to Vulnerability Management: Rapid7-Nexpose/Qualys/Nessus??

Please advise if anything else in your mind!! Tag someone if you one... !
Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• ottucsakottucsak Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't get certs that don't reflect your expertise, interviewers will ask about it and failing to answer could make you seem like a bullshitter.You can renew your CEH by submitting CPE points to the membership website, that's how I renewed mine. Qualys provides free certs and training for vulnerability management, policy compliance, etc., so you can look into it, however without hands-on Qualys experience it would not mean too much.Also CISSP pretty much has you covered in all areas, so you don't NEED anymore certs, but as certs are always nice to have, look into what the job roles that you want to apply for require.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd probably just look at job ads in the area that you'd like to do and see what they are asking for...
  • AakashNTAakashNT Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @ottucsak

totally agree with you.. I probably dont need any cert right now-in region where I am working right now.

My main goal is to not to loose any Job in new market where I am moving just because of not having of any particular Cert.

Also, as I have to look for Job in new country, I have to be pretty open to anything comes in my way for atleast first few months, so if resume shines with what recruiters looking for.. and yes obliviously I won't do any cert for which I don't have any knowledge- like OSCP etc... Hope you get my point. :)

@NetworkNewb

I did look for the same, and it seems that many of them asking everything from every domain-like everyhwere nowdays, they want every skill in one box.. so not very sure which is good investment.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi AakashNT,

With those certs on your profile you wont have any problem at all for the job search, you can do a search on indeed.ca.

Where are you planning to move?

Regards!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel like you have a pretty strong resume, let us know how everything goes!
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike