Questions regarding LPIC-2

linuxc128linuxc128 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I recently passed the LPIC-1 (CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI). Although I took classes for preparing the exam, in fact I studied all the required knowledge by myself - I should add that I'm 31-years-old now and working with/learning about Linux since I was 14, so probably I'm already in the posession of a considerable amount of knowledge about Linux (administration).

Now I plan to take the LPIC-2 exam without taking any preparation classes (I've always been good at studying things autodidactically) soon. My (first) basic questions in this regard are:

1) I have the impression that the main focus of LPI exams is on Debian (including init- and SysV-based versions), at least in case of the LPIC-1 exam (despite their claim to consider various distributions equally). Would others agree to this? And may this be (significantly) different for the LPIC-2 exam?
I think that this question is quite important, since one would need a lot of more time if trying to memorize all kind of e. g. RedHat/CentOS special characteristics.

2) Many of the exam's objectives/questions - including the information one can find in many LPIC preparation books - refer to out-dated information (e. g. GRUB/GRUB2 configuration to mention just one of many examples - some things related to X11 would be an even better example). But I guess nonetheless one should study this information, even if it's not relevant anymore or wouldn't work on a modern Linux system, right?

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Comments

• lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your post

I also now starting for LPIC-2 . What material you use for preparing. books or video you watching
  • linuxc128linuxc128 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a German, therefore I'm currently using two German books for preparing (let me know if you would like to know the titles anyway) and a quite comprehensive book titled "LPIC-2 - Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide" written by Roderick W. Smith. However, this book was published in 2011 and the exam's objectives have changed since then.

I would definitely recommend the book "Essential System Administration" (Æleen Frisch, 2002) - Even if not reading all of its almost 1200 pages, it contains a lot of valuable information and the LPIC preparation books are rather specific in their structure, so this book is a good choice if one wants to gain a deeper understanding of certain things.
    Thanks for reply. do you know preparing for 201-400 ? On reddit I read one comment of 2013 year, and there men write that this exam was terrible very stuppid questions. What you think ?
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "201-400", because the numbering (which is totally stupid in my opinion) varies in several of my sources. Do you simply refer to the LPIC-2 exam objectives?

Most definitely there will be a huge number of "very stupid questions" - Even the LPIC-1 exam I took was full of extremly stupid questions one would never expect (or which could ever be considered as being relevant for the administration of Linux systems) and whose answers one wouldn't know after having read books explicitly claiming to be preparation books.

But maybe you are curious about the difference of difficulty between both exams: Yes, I would say that the LPIC-2 exam is by far more difficult than the first one. However, I didn't take the exam yet, so this is just what I think. You can never know - Maybe they are silly to an extend that they expect you to memorize the whole "ss" man page e.g., good luck then.
    I mean that LPIC-2 have two test (201-400 & 202-400) and interested for which you prepared. And now I found out that 201-400 in August will change for 201-450.
    lovejoi wrote: »
    I mean that LPIC-2 have two test (201-400 & 202-400) and interested for which you prepared. And now I found out that 201-400 in August will change for 201-450.

Where did you get this information about "-400" / "-450" from?

This is the official site providing information about the objectives:
    https://wiki.lpi.org/wiki/LPIC-2_Objectives_V4

And will the objectives change in August according to your source of information?
    here is text from official site:

[FONT=&quot]Current Version:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 4.5 (Exam codes 201-450 and 202-450). Note: the exams with the [/FONT]v4.0 objectives (201-400 and 202-400)[FONT=&quot] will remain available until August 2017. You may write any version of the exams and they will count toward your LPIC-2 equally.

[/FONT]http://www.lpi.org/our-certifications/lpic-2-overview
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    LPIC exams are considered vendor neutral and really guide you on how to use Linux properly. If you have been using Linux for a while, its easy to move between distributions without being an expert on a specific one. Note: sysvinit is deprecated as more distros move to SystemD, however its still relevant to understand sysvinit as its still heavily utilized in older distros that remain in production environments.

I suggest using this book:

LPIC-2 Cert Guide by Bo Rothwell

It covers all of the current LPIC-2 objectives and even gives you a examples about practical use cases. I'm currently reading it with the intention of going for the 201-400 and 202-400 exams.
    thanks for your reply. by the way can you share this book ?
    icon_cool.gif
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    lovejoi wrote: »
    thanks for your reply. by the way can you share this book ?
    icon_cool.gif

You're welcome. I suggest paying for a subscription to Safari Books Online so you can get access to the book.
  • j4jacobdavid32j4jacobdavid32 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pass your 202-450 exam easily in first attempt by the help of latest LPI 202-450 **** questions with valid answers. ************* provide LPIC-2 202-450 braindumps guaranteed success. We have updated 202-450 practice test questions and providing with LPI LPIC-2 exam passing assurance. https://www.*************.com/braindumps-202-450.html
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Verities wrote: »
    You're welcome. I suggest paying for a subscription to Safari Books Online so you can get access to the book.

+1 for that.. why having to choose a book .. when you can have it all :)
  • luisepaschert34luisepaschert34 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Want to Pass 201-450 exam in first attempt? Pass your LPIC-2 Exam 201, Part 1 of 2, version 4.5 LPIC 2 certification exam with LPI 201-450 **** questions answers. Your LPIC-2 Exam 201, Part 1 of 2, version 4.5 success is guaranteed with our 100% money back guarantee. We have updated 201-450 exam questions and providing with LPI LPIC 2 exam passing assurance.