Options

Just Failed the SY0-401

TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took the exam this morning got a goodnight rest ate breakfast and went for my exam feeling confident after studying D Gibs book and online content scoring anywhere between 90-100% consistently on his online practice test and iphone app. I scored a 612 which is way lower than my score my 1st attempt in Dec 2015 (732) I would of passed that exam but I ran out of time with unfinished sims and questions. Today i had 2 sims which were pretty much straight from his book. I have a total of 72 questions and HONESTLY out of the 70 questions presented to me I must say not much is similar to his practice test what so ever even when it came to answers. Maybe I seen 3-5 questions that was similar to all the practice test I've done. CompTIA is kinda some BS how they are very vague with questions and answers I highly doubt in a real world scenario you'll have a very vague situation every time. Even some of the wording on the Answers don't even make sense to what the question is being asked! Anyways good thing I purchase the retake bundle so I dont lose out on another $300 that have already made $709 off of me to date. And thats not including my A+ and Net+ and HIT exam I've taken in the past. I guess back to the drawing board next week any recommendations?? Beside study the objectives I failed shown in the print out. I'm pretty uspet about the whole situation I have dedicated alot of hours to study gibson online content and reading his entire book. The Certmaster I perosnally think is useless nothing even close to that on the actual exam at least from what I saw. Why the heck is this test so difficult. icon_twisted.gif I'm really p.o right now!

Comments

• Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I tend to have a problem with running out of time as well. I constantly need to remind myself to not take over a minute on one question and keep pushing forward.

I passed Sec+ using only D Gibsons' book, his online content + some flashcards. One thing I will recommend is: print out the exam objectives and go over all the sections and make sure that you can comfortably teach the subject to someone else. That's when you really mastered the material.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Thanks man that was my primary source of content I guess I will study it all again more in dept i assume . Aslso since that was my 2nd attempt being that 1st was back in December of 2015 do I still need to wait the 14 days for the 3rd attempt even know it’s been a big gap from the 1st attempt? I guess I could call CompTIA and ask. I just downloaded all of the CBT nuggets videos I’ll be watching those and taking notes as well
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bummer! hopefully you did receive your scoresheet so you can focus on the weak areas that you are not grasping...once you find that out really focus on those, know those concepts up/down/left/right until you know it...best of luck, 3x a charm, right?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    shochan wrote: »
    bummer! hopefully you did receive your scoresheet so you can focus on the weak areas that you are not grasping...once you find that out really focus on those, know those concepts up/down/left/right until you know it...best of luck, 3x a charm, right?

Will do man! yes I did receive my score sheet not gonna misplace it this time. I also download the CBT Nuggets video course for SY0-401 gonna watch those as well in the areas that I missed along with Messer and read Gibsons Chapters over again in the areas I need to work on.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think if you really focus on those, you should have no problems on the 3x! best of luck!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    khaledit2015khaledit2015 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    very good job congrat
  • Options
    Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you failed the exam. Just stay focus and trying again. I too am studying for the SY0-401 exam and hoping to take it in two weeks. I purchased D Gibs book as well as the online content. So far I find it to he very helpful. I also include in my studies is watching the professor messer videos. Try this, first watch the videos that correspond with the objective. Then read the chapter. I find this method to be very helpful in terms of retaining the information and preparing for the exam. I noticed I have obtained more of the study material doing it this way. Try it and let me know. Good luck on the re-take.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR