GIAC Certs

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
I came across these GAIC certifications that aren't very popular but seem to be sought after by the DoD if anyone is interested:
https://www.giac.org/certifications/get-certified/roadmap

I myself plan to get a GAIC sec cert (GSEC) along with a CCNA and my CIS degree and hopefully I can work for Raytheon.

Comments

• TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »
    I came across these GAIC certifications that aren't very popular
    GIAC certifications are actually VERY popular, however they are cost prohibitive....usually mid to late career professionals who can afford them or those who work for companies who will pay are usually the people who have them. In most cases, it is fairly unlikely you will see somebody under 3-4 years experience with a GIAC certification. Additionally, unlike other certifications out there, self-study for GIAC certifications is difficult and usually not recommended since the course material from SANS is vital to passing.
  • SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
    SANS charges 6k+ a course icon_sad.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What are these GIAC certs? I've never heard of them either icon_smile.gif. I LOL'ed big at the "not very popular" snippet. OP needs to hang around here more often.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    What are these GIAC certs? I've never heard of them either icon_smile.gif. I LOL'ed big at the "not very popular" snippet. OP needs to hang around here more often.

My apologies, I should have worded it better... I noticed yiu have a few of the GIAC certs, did you get them on your own or via the company you work for? Just wondering.
    Work Study Program FTW. I've taken 6 classes and 3 certs, working on 4th cert. Company paid for 4 classes, I paid for 2.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I came across these GAIC certifications that aren't very popular but seem to be sought after by the DoD if anyone is interested:

There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to these certs: SANS™ Institute GIAC Certifications Forums
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Work Study Program FTW. I've taken 6 classes and 3 certs, working on 4th cert. Company paid for 4 classes, I paid for 2.

The 2 that you paid for, did those help land you the job that paid for the 4 classes?
    Sorry i over looked it
    I think I've taken over 25-30 certifications in my 20 years in IT. They have never played a direct role in landing a job mostly becuase none of my jobs ever required any certs. Did they make me look good? Most likely. Where they a determining factor? Not at all. Worth the money? Absolutely!
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    GIAC certifications are actually VERY popular, however they are cost prohibitive....usually mid to late career professionals who can afford them or those who work for companies who will pay are usually the people who have them. In most cases, it is fairly unlikely you will see somebody under 3-4 years experience with a GIAC certification. Additionally, unlike other certifications out there, self-study for GIAC certifications is difficult and usually not recommended since the course material from SANS is vital to passing.

I got my GCIH with less than a year of experience in the security field :)
    It kicked my ass, I'll say that much, but I learned a LOT and don't regret it.

Company paid since it's a requirement for all security staff.

Having taken the course, I would not regret spending the money on a cert if I had to, and I had the money to do so.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2 that you paid for, did those help land you the job that paid for the 4 classes?
    My company sends us to SANS training annually to gain CPEs to maintain our other Certs. You can take the GIAC exams for a discounted price after the training.
    devilbones wrote: »
    My company sends us to SANS training annually to gain CPEs to maintain our other Certs. You can take the GIAC exams for a discounted price after the training.

I see. Im so hungry for certs and experience, I have a burning desire to make a living from I.T.
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was starting out a while ago, I was all about getting GIAC certs and thinking they were the way to the promise land. In reality, I haven't had one recruiter contact me regarding my SANS certs but maybe they will if I get a more advanced SANS cert. I have a different view of them now, after taking 3 courses. I think the material and the instructors stories from real world experience are great but not as a resource that will make me a pro by any means...I've come to realize (at least for me) that the courses are more of a stepping stone rather than becoming an expert in whatever topic I choose.

For example, I took the Web App Pentesting course recently (SEC542). When I first got into the field (8-9 years ago), I would of thought "damn, I'm going to be able to hack websites right after this course and Ill be making money from bug bounties within a few weeks". The current me thinks of it like this...okay I've learned a bunch of basic ways to hack a website and tools to use. Now I'll take this huge head start and start researching which specific topics/tools from the class that appeal to me and go from there.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SANS charges 6k+ a course icon_sad.gif

I guess GIAC certs / SANS courses aren't very popular when one cannot afford them like me. icon_lol.gif Given the cost, it would not be practical for someone who is starting a family. I can probably have my employer pay for a SANS course after I've moved to a more technical aspect of security <-- currently in GRC.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess GIAC certs / SANS courses aren't very popular when one cannot afford them like me. icon_lol.gif Given the cost, it would not be practical for someone who is starting a family. I can probably have my employer pay for a SANS course after I've moved to a more technical aspect of security <-- currently in GRC.

That's what scholarships are for. :D

http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/132582-apply-sans-cybertalent-immersion-academy-scholarship-2018-a.html
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's what scholarships are for. :D

Unfortunately, I'm neither a US citizen nor a green card holder. icon_sad.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    ... it is fairly unlikely you will see somebody under 3-4 years experience with a GIAC certification.

I had my first GIAC before I finished my first year working in Cyber Security, I did however have 20+ year experience in other areas of IT before.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.