Your Certified Ethical Hacker certification is permanently revoked.

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
I decided to let my CEHv8 cert expire rather than bothering to submit ECEs for it. I just receieve this email from EC-Council today:
Dear james Murray,

We regret to inform you that you have failed to meet the EC-Council Continuing Education (ECE) Scheme recertification requirement of achieving a minimum of 120 ECE credits during the 12 months Suspension Period.

Your Certified Ethical Hacker certification is permanently revoked.

Should you have any queries, please write to delta@eccouncil.org for assistance.

Thank you.
Delta Admin
EC-Council

My CEH cert has been permanently revoked? I interpret this to mean that I am forbidden to re-achieve the CEH cert. That seems rather harsh.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are not worthy!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Expect to be fired any minute now and possibly lose admin status here. LOL!

I list the day my CEH/CHFI expired on my resume as one of my top 3 life achievements. HAHA!
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the club of now absolutely unethical hackers, JDMurray!
  • PhalanxPhalanx Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Un-Certified Ethical Hacker? ;)
    Client & Security: Microsoft 365 Modern Desktop Administrator Associate | MCSE: Mobility
    Server & Networking: MCSA: Windows Server 2016 | MTA: Networking Fundamentals
    Data Privacy & Project/Service Management: PECB GDPR DPO/Practitioner | ITIL 2011: Foundation | CompTIA Project+
    Currently Studying: Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrator Expert
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow they even had you in a "Suspension Period" before being "permanently revoked".... These people aren't messing around!
  • RobSnowden23RobSnowden23 Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Damn that's cold
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Their use of the word "permanently" is not appropriate in this context (in my opinion). Here is the actual wording from their site:

REVOCATIONS

If member fails to meet certification requirements during the suspension period, he/she will have the certification revoked and will no longer be allowed to continue usage of the certification logo and related benefits. Members whose certification is revoked will be required to retake and pass the respective new exam to regain their certification.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Now I'm thinking that "permanently revoked" really means "your previously held CEH certification is now invalidated and cannot be reinstated. Instead, you must retake the CEH exam to once again become a valid CEH certification holder."

Maybe they are deliberately vague so that people will contact the EC-Council (in a panic) and be exposed to upselling of ECC course materials. It's a sales tactic!
    I do think it would be rather interesting if you could say "Yeah I was perma-banned from EC-Council for letting my cert expire." Then you would be able to enter the cyberguypr Hall of Fame. :D
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen people list certifications on there resume like CCNA (Expired), I wonder what employers would think if you list CEH (Revoked) on your resume. It would imply to me you committed a serious ethics violation.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    My CEH cert has been permanently revoked? I interpret this to mean that I am forbidden to re-achieve the CEH cert. That seems rather harsh.

It's just bad wording. But, with your other certs, even if it was permanently revoked I'm not sure if I'd be too upset about it...

Personally, I'd go have a beer to celebrate! :)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is so absurd. I can't believe whatever the name of their advisory board is thought that "REVOKED" was a good idea when they in fact meant expired. You see why I hate this damn company?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At first looks I said ouch, those are fairly poor choice of words from ec-council. It is very aggressive to the point of discouraging the individual from future involvement with the company.

I agree with your latest assessment, it is word play in order instill panic, urgency, in order to get the person to open communication lines.

eh someday I will allow my CEH to evaporate, I can't right now since the boss asked for us to get it awhile back.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the wording is a combination of EC Council generally having a mediocre grasp of the English language at best and then being a bit of a sales tactic to get you to contact them (to provide money).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But how will you hack?
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    But how will you hack?

Not ethically, obviously. That talent has been revoked.

Time for HACKERMAN!
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its just a translation error from Hindi I am "sure". Outside of that consider yourself part of the shadowy underworld of untrustworthy hacker/security types and REJOICE! Repent from the evils of this certification and cleanse your mind of these hacking impurities!

I would say congrats are in order.

- b/eads
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    beads wrote: »
    Its just a translation error from Hindi I am "sure".
    EC-Council is a Pakistani company the last time I checked, so it would be mis-translated specifically from Urdu.

And thanks to TechGromit for the suggestion to update my cert list.

<--
  • RussInGothamRussInGotham Member Posts: 15 ■■□□□□□□□□

Was your cert list ethically updated?
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    I agree with your latest assessment, it is word play in order instill panic, urgency, in order to get the person to open communication lines.

Jokes on us, ECC has been social engineering its cert holders for years....
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□

Ahahaha, CEH (revoked) looks just beyond awesome!

As usual, CEH threads on this board keep delivering the best lulz!
    Ahahaha, CEH (revoked) looks just beyond awesome!

As usual, CEH threads on this board keep delivering the best lulz!

I would put CEH (permanently revoked) just for effect. LOL
  • deadjoedeadjoe Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol! Certified Ethical Un-Hacker?
    Uncertifiable - Unethical - Unhackable...you sir are a triple threat!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Now I'm thinking that "permanently revoked" really means "your previously held CEH certification is now invalidated and cannot be reinstated. Instead, you must retake the CEH exam to once again become a valid CEH certification holder."

Maybe they are deliberately vague so that people will contact the EC-Council (in a panic) and be exposed to upselling of ECC course materials. It's a sales tactic!

Absolutely correct!

Since your v8 has been revoked it is in fact permanent in that the v8 is a sunset exam and you can never take it again. However, you can pay the application fee or pay for their training and become certified again with a current version of the exam.

I definitely think it is a sales tactic! My application was "rejected" for insufficient information 24 or so hours after being "accepted".
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • RobSnowden23RobSnowden23 Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    Uncertifiable - Unethical - Unhackable...you sir are a triple threat!

really lol your a clown
  • NHStudentNHStudent Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This kind of makes sense though as the actual certificate / certification you achieved is invalidated and they might not re-validate it. It is now a complete re-submission for certification? I take this as you cannot reference this actual certification is completely gone and most be done over if you want it again.

Creative psycho-marketing to trigger a response? They got your attention through shaming you a bit?

Imagine how offended all of those voters who NEVER vote would respond if they learned they lose this right.
  • PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I do think it would be rather interesting if you could say "Yeah I was perma-banned from EC-Council for letting my cert expire." Then you would be able to enter the cyberguypr Hall of Fame. :D

Please do this.
  • bill clancybill clancy Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anymore the only value of the CEH is DODI 8570 compliance. Having it current in any of its versions (I think mine is ver6), allows you to hold CCSP related positions. https://iase.disa.mil/iawip/pages/iabaseline.aspx
    really lol your a clown

I'll be here all week!