Options

Moving from one domain to another - Please share

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious if you made a switch from one domain to another, what did it take? Did you regret it or do you like it? Any suggestions?

It can seems daunting but I know we have several members who have go this route. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I moved from a .net to a .com once. It was fairly smooth. LOL!!!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Changed response
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I took part in a migration when I first arrived at the company that I'm currently at. We had a tool that took care of most of them, but of course there were some stubborn machines that had to be manually moved plus the people that worked remotely. It was smooth for the most part. It allowed me to rack up on OT.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I assume you mean changing career domain not migrating Active directory...

what did it take?
    Moved from Unix/Linux systems engineering to Security. It took ... Nothing. I applied to a job that needed some Linux skills and got it. So all it took is just applying online really.

Did you regret it or do you like it?
    Difficult to answer. Sometimes I do, because now that I want to move to management, I could've moved earlier by leveraging my past experience, on the other hand, now I have a more broad experience which will open more doors when I move to management.

Any suggestions?
    Be very clear on why you want to move. You either move and do something different, or you leverage your existing experience to move up and acquire more skills on the way. In every new role I've had to learn a lot of new things, so don't shy away from applying to jobs when you don't meet all the requirements.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Moving from fabrikam to contoso wasn't worth it.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Moving from fabrikam to contoso wasn't worth it.
    Yeah, Coho Winery would be much better lol
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    shreenagshreenag Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I moved from VoIP- Test engineer to cyberSecurity. It was a difficult transformation. But I am glad I chose Cybersecurity.

I moved internally within the company from Telecom Vertical to a pure IT security consulting practice(Horizontal)

I remember getting no projects at all at in cybersecurity once I made the change to Cyber.It was a difficult 8-10 months.Realizing I am not getting enough projects I resigned, took a break for 1 yr did some courses on Pen testing and reapplied. Then Gradually I did some courses on ISO 27001 LA , studied for CISSP which helped me to get more work and improve my knowledge

Looking back - I think, you need to be very clear on what you want to do. Once you have that idea- Do some courses on that skill area. Try and get some experience preferably within the same company before moving out.This is what I can suggest based on my experience.

By the way, From what domain to what domain are you moving ?