Can SEC + be passed in 30-45 days?

labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a solid networking background and currently do desktop support. I obtained some security knowledge in my CCNA R/S studies, but some of it was vendor specific. What would be the best materials to dive into to try and get a pass around late July?

Thanks!

Comments

• trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depends on your learning skills, but is achievable. It's entry level sec exam so one month should be enough
    Just read a book, watch videos in cybrary.it and do mock tests in Skillset
    I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

• PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Daril Gibson's book (Get Certified Get Ahead). I used it for the older exam and every thing that was on the test was in that book. I wasn't blindsided by anything. It's the one book I'll recommend every time. Easy to read, content is just perfect.

Have you done anything with security? Podcasts, play around, just general learning about things without going for the cert? It can be done in 30-45 days if you put in the time and effort. But, having that desire to learn and absorb it really helps. I thought it was a fun exam. Not too in depth, great foundations, a lot of review, but it was great.

With the CCNA and desktop support, you've more than likely come across some of the concepts and things in the exam. Now, you're learning more of the details of them. You can do it! :)
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    It's definitely doable as I did it in that same timeframe (granted it was in like 2008 or so). I second Daril Gibson's book. It's what I used back then too.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    Daril Gibson's book (Get Certified Get Ahead). I used it for the older exam and every thing that was on the test was in that book. I wasn't blindsided by anything. It's the one book I'll recommend every time. Easy to read, content is just perfect.

Have you done anything with security? Podcasts, play around, just general learning about things without going for the cert? It can be done in 30-45 days if you put in the time and effort. But, having that desire to learn and absorb it really helps. I thought it was a fun exam. Not too in depth, great foundations, a lot of review, but it was great.

With the CCNA and desktop support, you've more than likely come across some of the concepts and things in the exam. Now, you're learning more of the details of them. You can do it! :)

I've definitely come across some of the topics, I'll grab that book and I already have a Cybrary account. I have a lot of downtime at work and I can use that time to study, at least an hour when I get home too. Is there anything I should be labbing or is the test more concept/information based?
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Yes, sec+ can be passed in that timeframe. I agree that Darryl Gibson's GCGA is the one resource you need.

I passed in 2015 with 867/900 using only this book as resource, so it muat have been OK!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That will depend on how many hours you study daily. Based on that you can pass the exam.
    Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely doable! Just stick with it and put in the work.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep, I did it the first time in 30 days, in fact I did A+, Net+ and Sec+ all in 3 months, and in a row and passed them all and pulled off a "hat trick" lol. The second time (renewing all my CompTIA certs) did it also in 30 days or less, sometime last year.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techwizard wrote: »
    Yep, I did it the first time in 30 days, in fact I did A+, Net+ and Sec+ all in 3 months, and in a row and passed them all and pulled off a "hat trick" lol. The second time (renewing all my CompTIA certs) did it also in 30 days or less, sometime last year.

Ditto. Did all 3 in just over 2 months.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I already have my CCNA so I probably won't go for the Net+, although a vendor-neutral network cert might be useful, I'm going to knock out Sec+ then possibly CySA. I have a ton of material to use so I feel comfortable that I'll sit for the test in the next 30 days.
  • relegatedrelegated Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I spent 5 days studying (lots of pluralsight videos) for it a year ago. It wasn't too hard back then. I've heard the 501 exam it little harder.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman