Question on Security+ test

jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
Without exposing any particular questions from the test, was subnetting a big deal for you. IE if I just have a general knowledge of what it is will that be enough or do I really need to know subnetting, classes and CIDR notation pretty well to be prepared for the test?

Comments

• labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently prepping for the test, from what I've gathered, subnetting/hex/binary are all good skills to have so you don't run into anything strange on the test.
  • TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    labscloud wrote: »
    I'm currently prepping for the test, from what I've gathered, subnetting/hex/binary are all good skills to have so you don't run into anything strange on the test.

Find a subnetting chart and memorize it and know what /28 /27 etc means, that will help you know how many hosts can be applied to a /28. If a question asks "if you need a max of 13 hosts on a subnet, What CIDR would allow you to have a maximum of 13 hosts without wasting any IP's?"

/23/26/27/28/

remember this... this is what I use. I also like think of the hosts as RAM/HDDs in size 2gb 4gb 8gb 16gb 32gb 64gb 128gb etc that help me remember.

Start at 30
    /30 = 4 hosts
    /29 = 8 hosts
    /28 = 16 hosts
    /27 = 32 hosts
    /26 = 64 hosts
    /25 = 128 hosts
    /24 = 256 hosts
    etc..

do forget subtract 2 hosts per each / because of the network address and broadcast address
    ie. /28 16 hosts (16-2) 14 hosts

I know its confusing I still get confused at times. I hope this helps you with your studies.

I'm also studying for the sec+ haven't really had any detailed subnetting questions that go in depth on the 2 failed 401 exams I have taken. I saw more of that on the net+ exam. I'm currently studying for my 3rd attempt at the 401. Hopefully it will be the charm!
  • gilesitisgilesitis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't recall any specific subnetting questions, but your experience may vary.
  • jam022316jam022316 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you. Even if I don't see it on the test that's very helpful. Makes my head hurt, but still very helpful. :)
    Your Welcome. This whole test is making my head hurt. I took it two weeks ago and failed. I'm thinking about going today or Monday I'm extremely nervous about this again!
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I uploaded this document that a previous student of mine created after I taught the subnetting class. It doesn't go into as much detail as when I teach it (about 8 hours of total class time), but it has the main points. I hope it's valuable.

http://www.techexams.net/attachments/forums/ccna-ccent/8256d1484173163-simple-document-help-subnetting-subnetting-teaching-tool.pdf
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    Thank you! Very helpful!
    Have you aced your test yet
    I passed my exam last Friday starting ccent now for ccna
    Awesome! Great job! Nope haven't taken it yet. I'm scheduled for July 21st.