Do you include a cover letter with your applications?

thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
Poll thread
2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have a cover letter template that I personalize each time I apply for a new position, similar to what I do with my resume. I happen to think grammar, spelling, and overall communication are very important skills. I always hope my cover letters send that impression to whomever is reviewing my application.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do the same as PCTechLinc. I have a generic cover letter that stresses my security engineering strengths (I work in security engineering) and then modify the company name where it appears 2-3 times to the correct company. And then, if there's something that they're clearly stressing in the description and I have it, I'll throw it in the list of one of my skills that I mention in the cover letter. Should take no more than 20-30 seconds to modify. Usually I have sentences in there that sound personalized, but really aren't. Like "I've read your about me and I must say I'm very impressed with your company. I can tell this isn't the average workplace"

The only exception I make is if I REALLY really want the job, then I'll try to focus in and customize the template extensively to their motto/mission/etc, the job description, and potentially the person receiving it (if I know who that is)
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do if the ATS I am applying on allows, or if I have the name and email of the hiring manager for that position.
    The thing with cover letters is they are supposed to give you the chance to connect with the hiring manager. Too many times from my end as hiring manager I simply see cover letters that only regurgitate what I can already see on the resume. A good cover letter connects to me, compels me to want to find out more about the applicant.
    A well-written cover letter can do more for your application than even a resume.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I do the same, I have a template and accommodate accordingly.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never used one and over the multiple companies I've worked for that I was involved in the hiring process I never saw one. I'm sure people sent them, but I guess they just went to the bit bucket or something.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only use a cover letter if requested in the job posting. I think some jobs do it as a test. The company wants to see if you can follow directions.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My job asked for one. I don't have a template, so I made one up. Went out of my way not to mention specifics that were already in my resume so I didn't come across redundant. They specifically told me after I was hired that my cover letter and answers to a couple of their interview questions were significant factors in getting chosen.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As another hiring manager, I have to agree with LordQarlyn. "Too many times from my end as hiring manager I simply see cover letters that only regurgitate what I can already see on the resume. A good cover letter connects to me, compels me to want to find out more about the applicant." In other words, we see a lot of lazy applicants. Who do you think is going to get the job, the one we think is lazy or the one we think isn't?