Exam 98-364: MTA: Database Fundamentals-- Best Study Guide??

oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I am thinking about transitioning from a Systems Administrator (General IT Guy) to a SQL Career. I deal with SQL a lot with this current job so I have the environment and the potential work experience when I get to that point. Right now I just use the tech support.

1) What is the best study material for the MTA exam? I realllllly dont want to spend 1K for CBT Nuggets

2) What are your thoughts on the career change? I am hoping it will pay more.

Comments

• ViolatedViolated Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what the best study material is, but Microsoft Virtual Academy has a course on Database Fundamentals. You can also get 3 months of PluralSight through the Visual Studio Dev Essentials. Either one should be good. After that, I would pursue the MCSA in SQL Server.

I was a DBA for a while, and I really miss it. You can definitely expect more money in the long run compared to Systems Administration.
  • oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is a DBA the most common job for SQL guys? Also is the cert you think I should be going for if I want to dive into SQL?

Thanks!

Also what did you miss about it?
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool thanks!

Are you sure though? The reviews for that book are AWFUL.
  • Valerie38125Valerie38125 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello
    I am a newbie trying to get into the IT field and I was told getting a MTA certification will help me get a jump start in the database world. Do anyone have some good practice exams, as well as study guides, suggestions and/or notes that will help me with this process. Thank you
  • Valerie38125Valerie38125 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Did you find any good material to study for the database portion of the MTA exam?
    oxymoron5k wrote: »
    Cool thanks!

Are you sure though? The reviews for that book are AWFUL.
  • CellshadeCellshade Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Valerie I just did my MTA 98-364 and did a summary/notes from the book that you are more then welcome to. I cannot send pms though as far as I know. icon_redface.gif
  • Lakshmi Rekha AnandLakshmi Rekha Anand Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also planning to do MTA. Cellshade, is it possible for you to share your summary notes to us?
  • CellshadeCellshade Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No issues at all. These were some quick notes/summary from the book for MTA 98-364. I used the book and I also used W3school's SQL section to go through all the syntax it was invaluable.

Link to notes: https://goo.gl/2RbxFg

They are pretty simple but they do touch on everything the book does and a bit more.
  • GavinsfcGavinsfc Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Newbie here replying to an old thread... don't ban me [IMG]file:///C:/Users/dohertyg/AppData/Local/Temp/2/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I'm going to be sitting the 98-364 exam soon, working in IT 5 years with 3 years as App Support using SQL.

Is using the Database Fundamentals videos on MS Virtual Academy enough to pass this exam for people with past experience?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I helped me, though reading the book helped me as well.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Thanks for the reply. Would you say you would have passed just using the MVA videos?
    Bump on that ^

Is the MVA tutorials enough to pass the 98-364 exam?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    No it wouldn't have (for me).
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Any recommendations scaredoftests what resources to use?