THOUGHTS ABOUT MCSE

Just some thoughts

Is it just me but couldnt they do away with the design exam and the elective and leave the MCSE with just 5 tests.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you get rid of the design exam you are an MCSA.
    The "E" in MCSE is for Engineer - which implies a designer.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    I mean you can only know so much information. I think if one has the core tets passed that should be enough to get one in the door. Once in the door a person could steer themselves towards either exchange or security or sql or whatever strikes their fancy
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure, I agree. That's exactly why the MCSA was created. It's a mid-point between an MCP and MCSE or simply a stopping point for those who decide not to certify beyond the Administrator level.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Do you think I would hurt myself in the long run if I dont have the MCSE.

Let's say I get the MCSA but still take the exams related to exchange
    sql and active directory.

I understand that there are many directions in IT.

My whole thing I dont want to be in a situation like I am know with the old NT cert and CCNA and stuck doinig desktop support. The only reason that I am getting the certs again is that the books for the mcse are here at my disposal.

I have a interest in security but I have enough sense to know that it's next to impossible to be effective in net security without being a net admin.

In the meantime I want to knock out the MCSA and then throw my resume out there and see what happens.

I figure A+,(Net+ or MCDST),MCSA along with my experience might be able to get a shot at something better than where I am now.

The jury is still out on the MCSA specializations
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    One of the problems with "you can only know so much", especially when it comes to the security field, is that there is always droves of people who know more. The IT industry is competitive, that's no secret, and if you want to succeed you have to push to know as much as possible. This is especially true if you're hoping to find a career in IT security, which is demanding, to say the least.

For a lot of people, the material covered within the domain of a certification is simply the beginning. What you have to remember is that certifications were developed to test a standard level of knowledge. Like sprkymrk mentioned, there are stopping points and mid-level certs to take if you don't want to push all the way to the higher levels. Still, even those higher levels only show that you know "what everyone else knows". If you want to stand out, show that you're better at what you do than those other guys gunning for the same job, you have to know more than could possibly be evaluated by an exam.

The certs are the start, and you'll find that the work you'll be doing once you get out there and really delve into advanced things will make the things you studied simple, by comparison. It's kind of like going to school: you don't know how easy you have it until you get out of there and things start getting hard.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Thanks for the replies
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    http://www.mcpmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=1122

An interesting article on the new MS track and how they are making it simpler and more job specific.
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A very interesting article, thanks for the link.