Chances of being a software engineer?

RolloofWhateverRolloofWhatever Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently 23 and want to become a software engineer. I have one issue though. Two years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor, but I wasn't convicted of it and it later was expunged. What are my chances of being a software engineer?

Comments

• TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Expunged means that your record is clean. What exactly is the concern? Regarding becoming a software engineer, that's up to you and your discipline to learn the necessary skills to become one. No one here is going to know if that's possible or not for you ...
  • RolloofWhateverRolloofWhatever Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote: »
    Expunged means that your record is clean. What exactly is the concern? Regarding becoming a software engineer, that's up to you and your discipline to learn the necessary skills to become one. No one here is going to know if that's possible or not for you ...

Reason why I asked this question in the first place is because I'm getting a CS degree eventually. And I know this is random, but why when I asked the same question on reddit I was told I basically don't have a chance of being a software engineer now? So idk who to believe.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only person you should believe in is yourself!! You have everything you need inside to be great at what you do now go after it!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    The only person you should believe in is yourself!! You have everything you need inside to be great at what you do now go after it!! icon_thumright.gif

That still doesn't answer my question if I have a chance or not.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□

Seems to me you are looking for an excuse as to why you can't achieve your goals before you even start. If that's your disposition then I think that will have a bigger affect on your chances than an expunged record. Be honest with yourself, are you seeking reasons why you can't achieve so that you can make them self fulfilling?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Seems to me you are looking for an excuse as to why you can't achieve your goals before you even start. If that's your disposition then I think that will have a bigger affect on your chances than an expunged record. Be honest with yourself, are you seeking reasons why you can't achieve so that you can make them self fulfilling?

I just simply want to know is it possible for me to do software engineering since I have a record now yes or no?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just simply want to know is it possible for me to do software engineering since I have a record now yes or no?
    Firstly - are you in the US or some other country? Privacy rules vary across the world. I am going to assume you are in the US.

The answer largely depends on what the misdemeanor was for. An expunged record can still show up in a background check but as long as you answer truthfully, it usually isn't an issue. You can truthfully answer that you were never convicted.

As for whether you are employable as a software engineer because you have been arrested, it depends on the job and industry - as well as what the misdemeanor was for. Different industries have different standards because of whatever services are being provided - for example - in financial services - the criteria will be different. Frankly, many employers do not conduct a background check. Also - EEOC rules do not allow to employers to disqualify candidates solely based on the fact that someone was arrested or convicted. For example, if you were arrested for drunk driving - it would be tough to for an US employer to disqualify someone as a software engineer. However, if the job was as a driver, perhaps those would be legitimate grounds for disqualification.

I will echo what others have said - don't look for a reason where there may be none.

There have also been several threads on this topic in the TE forum which you may find useful and I would encourage that you search on.

Good luck.
    That's irrelevant that you think I'm in another country. Anyways though so in other words I can't work at a company like Google or Microsoft never? Would the odds of me having a software engineering would've been better if I didn't had a record?
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have a expunged record aka no record. If you want the job. Go get it, Google and Microsoft will hire you if you have the skills they want.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the bigger challenge you are going to face is your attitude.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No reason why you cant obtain the role you want. Tech sector is not as fussed as say Financial Services who demand that the incumbent's background be clean - in the sense that no poor credit rating, felony record etc. However in your case if you have not been charged and are clean that too should be enough to get into FS.

But certainly tech sector would have no problem, so best of luck in obtaining the skills you need to get the job you want.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    From my understanding your record is clean. But in case you were to be audited.. better mentionned it.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I think the bigger challenge you are going to face is your attitude.

This. You come here to get advice, and several members have taken the time to help, and your attitude with regards to questions being asked to try and give you the best advice is very apparent and would definitely come across in interviews. This would hurt more than an apparent record. The question of what country you're in is HIGHLY relevant, as not just country to country the situation can differ, but even in the US state to state. The reason is privacy and employment laws. Some places may have laws that bar employers from asking about criminal records past a certain point, in some places such records may not matter, etc.

Anyways, paul78 has given solid advice.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

Go talk to an attorney......

And from the information you provided the answer is no, you can't become an Software Engineer. You come off incredibly stupid and rude....

You are too insecure to become a SE.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's irrelevant that you think I'm in another country. Anyways though so in other words I can't work at a company like Google or Microsoft never? Would the odds of me having a software engineering would've been better if I didn't had a record?
    Just to clarify why I asked the question in case others stumble on this thread. The locality that you live in is highly relevant. For example, if you are a resident in the UK, a criminal background check cannot be done as a regular course of business - in the UK an employer can conduct background checks only through the Disclosure and Barring service and only for jobs in certain areas like child care.

Also as a hiring manager, I have never disqualified a candidate solely on the basis of the candidate's criminal record. Individual's that I've hired included a convicted drug dealer and one with a drunk driving record. One was a software engineer and the other was a system administrator.