Options

Myers Briggs personality test, have you done it?

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
I can really vouch for this test as being one of the best personality tests that I've done. The test is really old and doesn't change, and it stood the test of time! It's really interesting to see your own results now vs 10 yrs ago

The purpose of this thread is I'm actually curious to see what's everyone's results are? and how does it match with your current (technical) job?

I found that doing a job that matches your personality usually leads to you feeling somewhat energetic and excited by the end of the day, as opposed to doing something that doesn't match your personality. It doesn't mean that you can't do tasks that don't 100% match your preference, it just means that you will need to exert more effort into those tasks

The test is free... https://www.truity.com/test/type-finder-research-edition

you can do it now, and then do it again in 10 years and compare your results...

Pro-tip: Base your answers on what you're more likely to do during the weekend NOT during work..and don't think too much, just pick the first answer that comes to mind.
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In short, it doesn't work. OCEAN or its derivatives work.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup, that test has been around a long time. I remember doing it first around 1997, and have done so every 3-4 years since. I've found it to be very accurate for me as an INFP.

That said, as I've gotten older, I do have some more INFJ tendencies (probably centered around keeping things 'steady as she goes' and being a little less spontaneous). I also can move between N and S more than I used to. I'm also deeply introverted, but I have learned to deal with that, as typically moving ahead in business, even IT/infosec, does mean some networking and social participation.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It definitely doesn't "work" for me, as I rarely get repeatable results from it. It all seems depend on time of day, how much sleep I had before, or the phases of the Saturnian moons.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah taken it a few times, never really did much for me.......
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had to take it as part of a job before about 10 years ago. It was an interesting experience. It was about a 4 hour session done with a group and a facilitator. It was accurate for everyone in the group. I think doing it with a trained facilitator really helps vs just trying to do it online. I have taken the online versions every once in a while and it doesn't vary much. I have a borderline trait in 3 dichotomy except for attitude which is usually an I so different online tests may come up with a final different indicator but the scores if provided are usually very close.

If you are like me, you may think that it doesn't work because your traits are not extreme and tend to midline for each of the dichotomies. But I do think that MBTI is a good test and does generally work.
  • Options
    I'm actually curious to hear from those who thought it doesn't work? were the results inconsistent? or you disagree with the results?

The reason is, I also concluded that it doesn't work few years ago because I didn't like my results then (ENFP), but I did it again recently and got the same result, and with some introspection I came to accept it and it made sense.

I found that doing tasks repeatedly without human interaction (for example) to be a bit draining, and now I know why. I'm trying to adjust my career to suit my strengths, rather keep doing things that drain me, does that make sense?

• Options
    thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm INFP. Not really the best type for tech work. But until I can get paid for shower dancing, I'll have to stick with it.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • Options
    I'm INFP. Not really the best type for tech work. But until I can get paid for shower dancing, I'll have to stick with it.

LOL!!!

true, perhaps a role in Pre-sales, strategy, management, architecture might use your strengths more?

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been following it for over 15 years and the people I've spoken with who don't feel it's accurate usually didn't take it rifht. They rushed or they were stressed or they didn't put themselves in the mindset of responding with their feet up and a cold-one in their hand. I'm not saying others won't find it to be incorrect but most people who didn't like it generally fit that description.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We use the predictive index. It seems like a decent start to understanding what a person brings to the team.
  • Options
    joshuamurphy75joshuamurphy75 Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It says I'm "?NTP" guess it has something to do with RFC 5905.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    INFJ which is pretty accurate I'm pretty introverted and freak out around to many people. Constantly have been plagued by anxiety since a young age.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm a E??J apparently. LoL. WTF?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Haha having an inbetween result is completely normal and very common:
    https://www.16personalities.com/articles/on-the-topic-of-ambiversion

although it's possible that you answered some question with some ambiguity or with work situations in minds. It's best to answer with what you would do in a weekend/vacation situation

• Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For MBTI type, there are different levels as you mature and develop your less dominant traits. So 2 persons with the same MBTI behaves differently. Do not read the description literally and stereotype yourself or others. Use it as guide to your strengths and weakness.

Apparently, my MBTI type is same as Hitler, Mahatma Gandhi, Osama Bin Ladin and Valdamir Putin.
    World domination, here I come.... icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tests usually result in INTP for the last 10+ years. Realize it's not much different than a horoscope, but it is a thing.
  • Options
    NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes. INTJ.
    I found out about MBTI and Jungian Cognitive functions 2 or 3 years ago.
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Options
    NiTech-5 wrote: »
    Yes. INTJ.
    I found out about MBTI and Jungian Cognitive functions 2 or 3 years ago.

INTJ/ISTJ Perfect for Deep technical work!

• Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took this test last year and the year before and got the same results - ISFP. Although I don't agree with the part where it mentioned -

"ISFPs are natural artists, musicians and photographers, as well as designers of all stripes" as I lack the aptitude for it. icon_lol.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    Took this test last year and the year before and got the same results - ISFP. Although I don't agree with the part where it mentioned -

"ISFPs are natural artists, musicians and photographers, as well as designers of all stripes" as I lack the aptitude for it. icon_lol.gif

That's the initial description. There are SO many careers suitable (https://www.truity.com/personality-type/ISFP/careers )

Looks like there is a common misconception! Suitable careers doesn't mean those are the only careers a person can do. It means that they will be more energized doing such a career. E.g. an extreme introvert can do an extroverted job but it will be draining, and they can thrive better in something more suitable

• Options
    NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    INTJ/ISTJ Perfect for Deep technical work!

Yep, I've come across that as well. I believe that I'm definitely in the right field and have always been good at troubleshooting many technical problems!
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was I?TP, I think.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think those are typically BS. I don't think you can put someone down as a definite label like that. Really depends on the situation, the mood, the subjects at play.

I'm ?NFP this time. The ? comes from the "I enjoy being around people, but it doesn't energize me". I think with many of those you can be on both sides or either side depending on the situation.

I don't put a lot of thought into these things. I typically never get the same outcome if I do it twice in the same week, and even then they just don't sound that accurate.
  • Options
    PC509 wrote: »
    I think those are typically BS. I don't think you can put someone down as a definite label like that. Really depends on the situation, the mood, the subjects at play.

I'm ?NFP this time. The ? comes from the "I enjoy being around people, but it doesn't energize me". I think with many of those you can be on both sides or either side depending on the situation.

I don't put a lot of thought into these things. I typically never get the same outcome if I do it twice in the same week, and even then they just don't sound that accurate.

Well it's "You think" vs decades of research, so I'll take the research side in this case. If you're not getting the same outcome you are doing the test wrong, there are people who can help you with the answers

However, I agree with some of your points. it's not all black or white, we're all on some kind of a spectrum and we change so it's not meant to dictate your life. It's meant to be an indicator to help you understand your internal preferences

• Options
    I'll go with research as well, but I'm still not putting a lot of faith into it. There is a huge spectrum and I don't think you can put the human mind into such a simple quiz and format. I think a lot of those choices can be very dynamic. While I may be one thing on Friday evening, come Monday morning I may be way different.

I just don't think that humans are as static as that basic quiz suggests. I do realize that it's just a simple online quiz and not the much longer real one (I've taken that long ago, takes a long time to complete). I just won't let that choose who I am based on very simple criteria. And, self measured at that. That in itself should make the test results dynamic based on your current mood...

Also, I think those decades of research and smart folks that created the real one would also say that this simple online version is lacking in it's accuracy. :)
  • Options
    ... While I may be one thing on Friday evening, come Monday morning I may be way different.

^^ You are doing the test wrong, you're meant to answer based on what you did on previous weekends (not weekdays)....Not based on how you feel at a certain moment. A properly trained individual can help you take the test, and get value out of it. We don't change as fast as we think we do.

Also, I think those decades of research and smart folks that created the real one would also say that this simple online version is lacking in it's accuracy. :)

Actually the accuracy comes from the fact that we have TONS & TONS of data and evidence,and the results have been replicated over and over, hence why it's fairly accurate..

Anyway, it comes down to whether you're actually interested in those tests or not. I used to be skeptical, until I started getting value out of it. but it's not for every one :)

Thanks for your input!

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Actually the accuracy comes from the fact that we have TONS & TONS of data and evidence,and the results have been replicated over and over, hence why it's fairly accurate..

Anyway, it comes down to whether you're actually interested in those tests or not. I used to be skeptical, until I started getting value out of it. but it's not for every one :)

The Wikipedia page points out a lot of the same criticisms from people a lot smarter than me, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers–Briggs_Type_Indicator

That's for the "long form" of the MBTI. The simple online version I still put up there just above the Facebook quiz that tells me I look like Sloth... which is strangely accurate.

It has it's purpose, but those criticisms are similar to mine. Valid, but I guess it really depends on how you use the results. I wouldn't make any life changing decisions, career decisions, etc. on it, but it's interesting to see how you conform or don't conform to the results.

Edit: Also, I tend to question a lot of things.... I guess you could say it's part of my personality! ;)
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've taken it before.
    I wonder though if it causes confirmation bias?