Options

Salary negotiation question?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
Me : Would you be able to advise on the salary range?

Them : Could you please give me your salary expectations?

Whats your next move? icon_smile.gif

Comments

• Options
    MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do your research.

1) Go to glassdoor and checkout the following: whats the salary for that position at that company, what's the salary for that position in your area.
    2) Consider how much you make and what you are wanting to move to.
    3) What are their benefits like? Tuition reimbursement (do you plan on using it?), whats their 401k match, etc

I personally almost always try to have them give me the range.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    would rather get the range, i will just ask again straight out.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eddo1 wrote: »
    Me : Would you be able to advise on the salary range?

Them : Could you please give me your salary expectations?

Whats your next move? icon_smile.gif

It depend, if you have a job, if you want to move for a monetary reason, please be ready to give your salary expectation (and expected benefits). If it don't align with their offer, you will not choose to move over. So better don't loose your time and their time.

If you don't have a job and/or you are desesperate to leave your other job, well give them a realistic salary expectation range... Don't low-ball you.. you will regret it later, but be flexible.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Either "Please see my previous question", "Market rate", or a specific number if you have one in mind.

Done.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ideally for any position you decide to apply, you should 1) research as much as you can the market rate salaries for the 'job title' (which is not the best indicator of the job as companies often inflate titles) and 2) already have a range you are comfortable or would accept.
    If you put a range out there and it is too high, then that's probably not a job you would want. Think about it, if they can't pay you what you want, is it worth pursuing?