Options

Job Hunting Strategies? Places to look.

N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm currently working in an MSP in Hawaii, but things are starting to get old real fast, and not "I'm bored of my job" kind of old but more of a cluster of daily BS that has me "NOPE!"-ing out of there. I'd actually love to swap jobs with a few people in corporate IT who complain about their jobs being too mundane as I can think of ways to keep myself busy (like figuring out ways to automate mundane and repetitive tasks).

In any event, I'm wondering what's the best way to search as the market for IT seems pretty dry and simultaneously high bar over here. I consistently see ads put out on Indeed seeking entry level Help Desk positions with Windows Server 2016 or MCSA or a Bachelor's in CS as requirements, which makes me think we have ignoramus recruiter problems here who don't understand anything at all about IT.

At the same time I'm finding that going to individual company websites almost always only include positions for their industry itself. I know of a client of ours who have 2 IT guys whom I would describe as low skill for what they do and went to their website and only found positions for insurance agents and the like, which is what they do. Nothing for IT.

On bank websites I might find positions which are too high bar for me like IT director or manager or team lead. Nothing I would want to get in anyway.

It does make me wonder how some of these folks whom I would consider to be incompetent at IT even got their jobs to begin with and where do I line up?

Even some of these IT job fairs seem like a joke as they come across as more of a PR stunt rather than a genuine attempt to recruit anyone.

I was hoping to get a level of promotion so I can have a strong resume before moving Stateside and looking for a job there, but it sounds more and more like I need to save up money and go straight there from Help Desk at an MSP.
OSCP
MCSE: Core Infrastructure
MCSA: Windows Server 2016
CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N7Valiant wrote: »
    I'm currently working in an MSP in Hawaii, but things are starting to get old real fast, and not "I'm bored of my job" kind of old but more of a cluster of daily BS that has me "NOPE!"-ing out of there. I'd actually love to swap jobs with a few people in corporate IT who complain about their jobs being too mundane as I can think of ways to keep myself busy (like figuring out ways to automate mundane and repetitive tasks).

In any event, I'm wondering what's the best way to search as the market for IT seems pretty dry and simultaneously high bar over here. I consistently see ads put out on Indeed seeking entry level Help Desk positions with Windows Server 2016 or MCSA or a Bachelor's in CS as requirements, which makes me think we have ignoramus recruiter problems here who don't understand anything at all about IT.

At the same time I'm finding that going to individual company websites almost always only include positions for their industry itself. I know of a client of ours who have 2 IT guys whom I would describe as low skill for what they do and went to their website and only found positions for insurance agents and the like, which is what they do. Nothing for IT.

On bank websites I might find positions which are too high bar for me like IT director or manager or team lead. Nothing I would want to get in anyway.

It does make me wonder how some of these folks whom I would consider to be incompetent at IT even got their jobs to begin with and where do I line up?

Even some of these IT job fairs seem like a joke as they come across as more of a PR stunt rather than a genuine attempt to recruit anyone.

I was hoping to get a level of promotion so I can have a strong resume before moving Stateside and looking for a job there, but it sounds more and more like I need to save up money and go straight there from Help Desk at an MSP.

I would say know what you want in your next role.
    Job
    Cultulre
    Salary
    Organization size

Once you know these things, then focus your search on the jobs that meet your critrea.

Go to this link:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0Z3wnyAKF99S1JFRXpWOFlUSkk?usp=sharing

Download the book Cross Raod Career network

Read this Chapter
    Target opportunities ... . page 31

Also, check out this link and start networking with others that work in IT.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0Z3wnyAKF99SXJiXzZVcDdYRGc
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Job = One step removed from the phones. I don't mind answering phones, I just don't want that to be job #1,2,3,4,5.
    Culture = I always interpret a requirement to be comfortable working in a "fast-paced environment" to mean we're understaffed and overworked.
    Salary = $35.000 or more.
    Organization size = I'd prefer corporate, but the bar seems significantly higher since they attract more applicants. Regrettably I don't interpret this to mean higher skill as I've seen some employee e-mail lists to have multiple same last name which to me tells me the bar is higher if you don't have family or relatives within the company.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE